SRS this has never happened to me before until tonight(anonymous thread

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

ok

I'm at my friends house on a snowboarding trip. I left with 3 other friends at 5:00am yesterday to end up after a long car drive at my other friend's house at around 3:00am.

i woke up originally at 3:30..i got around 2 hrs of sleep. and was in a car for almost 24 hours straight. I was fine in the car, i felt super hyper and at times euphoric, not totally myself but sometimes I get into silly moods, just part of my personality.

Anyways we all get to his house and go to bed. 2 bunk beds, I'm on the bottom bunk of one bed.

I dunno if I start dreaming or what...but I'm still conscious. And I start seeing these horrible and horrifying images/charicatures of evil things. So..I open my eyes. I'm awake. I see something on the bed squirming and reaching for me - like a demon of some kind. I move around and try to tell myself it's not real but it keeps coming back.

I then tell 2 of my friends that were still awake what happened. One laughed at me, and one attributed it to dehydration.

Anyways I put my head back down and COULD NOT STOP with the evil/demonic charicatures...i tried to think of my dog which i love and it turned into a fucking demonic hellbeast type thing. it might sound stupid but it was scary as hell.

I walked into the bathroom , washed my face off. came back in and had the same shit happen when i tried to close my eyes.

I told one of my friends and brought him into the living room where I explained everything that had happened. He told me he thinks it was dehydration + lack of sleep ..I was hyperventilating while telling him and totally freaking out.

I'm 23 years old, perfect health, never had anything like this happen to me before but I'm totally freaked out and scared right now..would appreciate any help or thoughts on what i should do. I'm sorry my post is very disorganized and cluttered but it's the best i could do ...i had to write it all down. any questions dont hesitate to ask. I'm very scared right now and feel very alone.

i should mention that ive been depressed for the past year or so ..lately have thoughts of suicide but would never do it. never harmed myself either. just thoughts. i have also always had quite a vivid imagination and always been easy to scare myself just by thinking about things..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. TheGetUpkid

TheGetUpkid New Member

Sleep paralysis, I've had something similar to me. I think it was a combination of stress and the Ripped Full (weight management loss pills) I was taking. This one night this tall dark figure (sorta like from the mothman prophecies) was screaming at me..... really loudly to the point where it almost hurt. I tried moving and screaming myself to "wake" myself up, but couldn't. I always ended up waking up in a cold sweat... and basically not wanting to go back to sleep.

3. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Welcome to the world of the hypnogogic hallucination!

It's typically the signature of dysfunctional sleep & takes place while you fall asleep. Typically, you end up "waking up" into a state of partial consciousness & cannot move due to the sleep paralysis that prevents you from acting out your dreams. There are numerous reasons one might not be sleeping efficiently - over excitement or stress to name two.

If it becomes a regular pattern for you there may be some component of your life putting pressure on you that effects your ability to rest. Or, you could have somehow developed a sleep disorder. However, it's likely your hyperactivity kept you from resting effectively.

Try to adhere to good sleep hygiene. If problems persist, do what it takes to work it out.

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Well, there is not doubt it's a hallucination, but, what kind exactly? I don't know. Are medications you're taking that we should know about?

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

sounds almost like an acid flashback to me :dunno:

6. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Not sleep paralysis, he was able to move.

Who knows what it could really be? It was probably a hypnogogic hallucination but it's nothing to be terribly worried about - everybody has them at some point in their lives. If this is an isolated incident and you don't have any other members of the narcoleptic tetrad it's pretty benign. Like dreaming, your ability to determine reality from fantasy is very impaired - if not nonexistant - and so trying to logically "think" your way out of it won't work. Like dreams, hypnogogic hallucinations are more often than not centered around anxious material.

As always, medication can induce stuff like this, especially new medications. The sleep deprivation is the most likely culprit. After sleep deprivation you get significant REM rebound and increased likelihood of hallucinatory events.

Like I said though, it's freaky at the time but don't let it get to you. It's totally harmless, except for the freaked-out feeling you get. Feels good to come out of it and realize it's not real, though. :p

7. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Able to move? Didn't see text that indicated that other than eye movement. As far as I know, eye movement is all anyone can easily control during the episodes.

& I've been able to move in response to them before, but I'm an extreme case. Typically I'm still involved in the belief of the hallucination but the actual imagined events cease once I move. It fades quickly. Usually once I notice that the reality I am in conflicts w/the reality I believed I was in.

Oh - & anonymous - if you're really afraid of it happening again then avoid sleeping flat on your back. That seems to be the most frequent position I & others have noticed to be associated w/the phenomenon.