this good enough for starters?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dvd, Jul 21, 2003.

1. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

i just got a car (240sx) and the stock speakers suck! I need something thats good. Not really asking for much for the speakers part since i think the speakers on my mom's 2001 corolla LE is good ahhaha. So i'm thinking of getting Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp 4"x6" 2-way and a JVC KD-SH77 off ebay which cost about 180. How much you guys think i can get the speakers for? The cheapest i've seen online was about 70 bucks but it doesn thave the wireharness and all that shit for beginers(ME) :hs:

is this setup good? considering the fact i only got about 300 to spend.. or so..i'll get the rear speakers some other time :hs:

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Dont get JVC crap, that stuff just plain blows.

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Since you're on a very limited budget, buy new front speakers, use the stock head unit, and get an amplifier for those front speakers. Your ears will thank you.

Some people like rear fill, some don't. I personally don't run any rear speakers, but thats just me.

4. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

then whats a good deck? i seen good reviews for that. I want it because i can plug my ipod on the line in port. If i dont get the jvc then i have to look at other ones that has to be under 200 bucks that has cdrw comptable and mp3 cd compatable.

5. 04

04 Guest

The JVC will work fine. The most important thing is that you like the deck's ergonomics, and it has all the features you need, because they all sound the same.

The speakers you picked will probably work fine as well.

6. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

ahh decks.. so many to choose from. any of you reccomend a good deck around 150 price range or a little more. that can play mp3 cds..

7. mitrong

mitrong so cute

if u dont wanna go thru the trouble of powering ur fronts with an amp, just get any decent head unit (pioneer, alpine) and infinity reference coaxials...
    they're generally regarded as the best speakers off head unit power

ive got em and they're not GREAT but they're a helluva lot better than stock.

8. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

what are infinity reference coaxials? are they speakers?

9. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

those kappas are loud as fuck even on a stock deck, my friend has em, get them first then decide if oyu want them louder

10. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

You're kidding right? You're trying to tell me that the sound quality from a low line Sony HU is the same as the sq from a upper line Alpine, Eclipse, Nak?

I somehow doubt that. I've personally heard a Rockford HU (wifes car) and my Alpine...as far as SQ, the Alpine sounds FAR better than the Rockford.

11. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

so that jvc deck on ebay is good right? or an ok set up. considering the amount of money iwant to spend.

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I've seen far too many JVC decks break, and they don't sound all that good, but on some cheap speakers with no amp, it probably wouldn't make a difference. Your best bet is to save your money and get some quality products.

13. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

how about those cheap pioneer ones. such as the DEH - P3400 , nother oens.

14. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Pioneer is good, go with them.

15. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

If you're running cheap speakers and no amp, I would say that the HU is of secondary importance.

Obviously you wouldn't use a cheap Sony Xplod with a Dynaudio setup ro something along those lines, but in this case I don't think its that big of a problem.

16. 04

04 Guest

With processing or no? Yes a cheap headunit (with no equalization or anything) will sound the same as a high end unit. People buy those units for FEATURES, not inaudible sound qualities...

Ask BobG, he posts in here sometimes, and is an IASCA SQ judge, he will agree with me.

17. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

ok i went out and bought a alpine cdm9801 ehh cost me 159 at good guys i know thats expensive oh well "free" installation.
    So i guess thats pretty decent. right?

18. 04

04 Guest

Yup. :bigthumb:

19. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

w00t i installed it myself haha, i had no idea what to do but yeah oh well. it was fun.

20. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

congrats, let us know how you like it.

21. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

Hrmm so far i love the controls, far better than that panasonic i was going to buy. My stock speakers sound much better i didnt know it can produce this much sound :eek3: Other than that i have no idea how to judge this deck. Its just pretty good.

22. mitrong

mitrong so cute

great choice on the deck, for budget decks thats one of the best u can buy

now if u dont wanna bother with components/amps
    get reference coaxials for ur front two speakers ... and then get a alpine type r for ur sub in the back... back speakers can remain stock, they jsut give u a lil rear fill

23. mitrong

mitrong so cute

kappas are better amped, but reference are better off head unit power cuz they are more sensitive (louder)