This forum is dead!! Detailed: 2001 Toyota Highlander

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by NightyNight, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Well, this was the first time detailing my own personal car since i got my new PC. I'd like to apologize in advance for the horrid pics, old camera, no tripod, blaring Arizona sun makes it hard to take decent ones. I also forgot interior pics, lol. Sorry again, my next one will be better I promise.

Process:
    1. Quick rinse on the heavy dirt.
    2. ONR (Wheels got 1:2 APC degreaser w/ brushing and wipe down.)
    3. Cracks, crevices, doorjambs with ONR spray that I made.
    4. Poorboy's Polish w/ Sealant, Sonus Orange Pad, 1500rpms
    5. Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant, hand applicator, let sit for about 3 mins. (shit dries fast here. :))
    6. Windows with Eagle 20/20
    7. Meguiar's PlastX on headlights. They were a bit yellow in the beginning. I tried it by hand at first, went way to slow. So I popped on the stock pad that came with the PC, and used that. Went way faster, and awesome results. Can't tell really in the pics, but in person the change is amazing.

Interior:
    1. Quick vacuum with interior brush.
    2. APC 1:10 on light marks and stuff on the plastics, dashboard, etc...
    3. Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on the electronics, fake grain panels, etc..
    4. Water/Woolite on carpets, Oxy Clean spray for stains (came right out with a bit of brushing.)
    5. Vacuum

Onto pics (sorry again):

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm no Scottwax, but w/e. :greddy:

I have a couple gripes about the Poorboy's products atm, but I won't get into it right now. I'm hungry.

2. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

:fawk:

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Looks good. What gripes do you have with the products? I've only used the natty's red. Worked well but was hard to remove. Just looking for some insight b.c I was about to order some more of their stuff.

4. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

PwS seems like an extremely low cut, I was using it with an orange pad, and i didnt notice a huge difference, lots of medium to light scrapes in the clearcoat still. it was recommended to me when I explained my car's condition to whoever uses the username Poorboy on their forums. the EX-P took quite a bit of muscle to remove after only 5 minutes, but the heat here is crazy, so I'll give them that.

I bought the trim restorer too, utter crap. first coat I applied, it starts blotching up and streaking. ok i think, "maybe the surface isn't clean?" so i wash it again, APC then onr spray, try to dress the trim again and it still streaks. :run: wasn't impressed by that.

5. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I'm not sure what products to try next. I suppose I'll wait and see how the EX-P holds up in the sun.

I may try some Optimum polishes and Opti-Seal just to give it a whirl.

6. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I take what I said about Poorboy's back. Turns out the Trim Restorer thing never mentions the type of trim I have. My mistake.

I guess I just needed heavier polish too, not the company's fault. :dunno:

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I used the optimum polish and poli-seal on my car. Worked pretty well...however I didn't get alot of the minor light swirls/marks out of my clearcoat. So if you are looking to get rid of marks try the optimum compound as well.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If EX-P was hard to remove, you used way too much. Plus, the recommendation on the bottle is to let it sit for 30-60 minutes for a better shine. Not sure if that helps it look better, but removal is effortless.

Turned out pretty good, saw it on Autopia too.

This forum is dead because no one on OT seems to know this forum even exists and persists in PM'ing me their questions. :rant2:

9. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I figured the heat in Arizona would offset the recommendations by Poorboy's. Definately not ruling out using to much though. :dunno: I'll try less next time.

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I usually have no reason to post because I can usually find an answer to my questions by searching. :hs:

I did just order some Vanilla Moose, Poorboys Spray & Gloss and Natural Look, and some microfibers based on your recommendations, so this forum is still doing its deed :bigthumb:

11. what did you use on the plastic piece on the rear bumper? anything special?

12. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Poorboy's Trim Restorer after APC wash. That held since it was textured.

13. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

looks good :bigthumb:

Is the roof as nice too? I know i get lazy sometimes with SUV roofs (especially with those annoying ass racks lol)

14. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

haha no, i fucking hate doing the roof. just sealant up there. =P