GUN This dude's in lala land...Your guns are safe v.Heller

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FusionZ06, Oct 5, 2008.

1. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

http://www.law.com/jsp/scm/PubArticleSCM.jsp?id=1202424712957

Guess this dude doesn't keep up with the Presidential candidates.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Wow, fuck that guy.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Being that John Jay is the most respected CJ college in the country, having professors that push for any infringements doesn't bode well for the upper crust of law enforcement over the next few decades. What the hell is the point of a national tracing system? On an individual basis, most hot guns are sold through the grassroots movement. The larger, organized dealers have cases against them in other ways.

Not to say that half of the political lacky chiefs these days take a stand about anything anyway.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Actually, I wouldnt mind these things as a gun owner:

I think those are all smart and would work. I think that penalties for gun violence need to be much harsher to help try to curb the problem.

If instituting some things like the above would mean they stop trying to limit guns altogether I'm very for them.

But there would need to be provisions that would make it end there. The problem lies when they institute these things, then proceed to try to restrict guns as well. If we put stuff like this into effect them have something in stone that would limit the ability to reintroduce a new AWB or similar, its ok with me.

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

how would registered guns prevent the black market or help solve the crimes?

:confused:

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Ultimately you're setting yourself up for failure if you think that accepting a little gun control will effect criminal behavior with guns. Criminals break the law, even gun control laws. More ground will be taken in an effort to do the impossible.

Besides do you really think that banning the private sale of guns or registering handguns is going to do anything to the crime rate?

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I realize that criminals dont follow the law, hence the reason their criminals. But I do think that private party sales and the gun show "loophole" are a little silly and opens up the sale of guns to criminals that do NOT have to circumvent the law.

Do you know anyone at gun shops? Do you know how many sales are currently stopped from the background checks? A lot. The fact that some mentally unstable guy can go to a gunshow or private sale and get something doesnt sit easy with me.

I dont think that is an unreasonable law to have in effect. Its, of course, not going to stop the black market or some criminals, but it will help and may help to silence some of the antis at the same time.

The bottom line is I think that punishments for many gun crimes are far too light and it doesnt discourage such crime.

I guess I'm ok with some basic restrictions in place as long as there is some give by the other side to then lay off as well.

But you're right, us being resaonble will always be a losing situation when the other side fails to ever let reason get in the way of their views.

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

At least that's the way it worked in every other single country where they registered guns.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I guess I fall off the wagon on the logic you're using here. I'm a bad guy with a record, I want a guy to stick in someones face to either just rob them or actually kill them. I can't buy a gun at the store or private party so instead of say just stealing one I go home and call to see if meals on wheels needs volunteers. Yay gun control worked?

The whole idea that making it illegal to get a gun will stop people that plan to use guns to break far more serious laws than gun control laws just seems...well there is no polite word for it.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Backwards is the word.

12. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

The solution isn't less guns, or even regulation, but more guns; and the training in their use. If every citizen was armed, and trained on how and when to shoot, that'd reduce the crime rate substantially. Someone with criminal intent would be far more reluctant to walk into a bank, or convenience store to rob the place, if they knew every adult inside was packing, and likely to draw on them.

13. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Israel is a perfect example of that.