this dude wants me to detail his car..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by gandhibrokemyskates, Aug 20, 2003.

1. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

his acura nsx :eek3: anyway, he zaino's it most of the time, but he wants me to get rid of the swirl marks. i've asked him if he wants me to do it my way(the mequiars, s100 method) or if he wants me to use his zaino.

i want to detail these high rollers cars but they all use zaino, but i don't have any for myself..

my question, is there a place on the net that sells zaino cheaper then the zainobros.com site? I don't want to use zaino, but the rich dudes know their name and love it. :hs:

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

It's your job to tell them that, you're going to be detailing their cars, you'll use what you want. If they want Zaino, charge them by the hour :big grin:

Seriously, show them what YOUR method can do for them that Zaino won't.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I basically agree with EMT. Zainos is very labor intensive and they should pay more if you use it, not only to cover your costs, but also the extra time it takes. If you have to remove swirls, then you have to start from scratch with the Zainos process. If they just want a few more coats of Zainos though, it won't take nearly as long.

4. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

i'm charging him pretty damn cheap for this detailing, because basically i'm trying to get more customers. i discount him, and tell him to give some referrals, thats better for me in the long run.

i asked him if he wanted to do it my way or his. also, my friend made a flyer for me to pass out to get some more customers. :o hopefully i do get some.

5. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I've used Zaino since day one on my black Hawk and I have no swirls. WTF did this guy do to get swirl marks? My guess is he put it on too thick or he's using an orbital polisher (which, btw, puts it on too thick :) ).

Also, since there seems to be some kind of myth propagating over the time it takes to Zaino... Only the first application takes so much time. After that the upkeep is minimal. With ZFX you can whip out a coat in 30 minutes, so by all means, charge by the hour, your customer will love you :) My first application on my Firehawk took me 6 hours, but that was a strip with Dawn, claybar, Dawn, Carwash, dry, Carwash (f'in waterspots), Dry with a Waterblade and Absorber, then the Zaino process.

Sal Zaino's next products (should be out soon :x: ) will be a swirl remover for those with a swirl problem, and a chrome polish which a buddy of mine was lucky enough to get a test sample (distributor) of and it was impressive, a visible difference between his rims and mine (mine were cleaned and zaino'ed).

Anyway's, either tell him it's your way or he provides the Zaino.
    A lot of NSX guys are religious about Zaino because of this test (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html) by an NSX owner that shows it beating out their $144 a jar Zymol NSX Glaze. The "Guru Reports Wax Test" is also starting to make the rounds and for those with the money Zaino is gaining in popularity. S100 (P41S) comes in second to Zaino in "Guru Reports Wax Test" but for the money difference, it's a good deal. A buddy at work uses S100 on his new black Impala and says it's great stuff.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

To me, it is easier to just stick with Meguiars for surface prep, Vanilla Moose as my final glaze and either S100 or Carnuba Moose as my wax. Honestly, I just cannot justify the amount of time and effort the first application takes. If I polish and wax my car every 2 months, the total time will only be about 6 hours total.

The main reason Zaino did better in the Guru Report was because it is more durable, which most polymer or synthetic waxes are. BTW, 7 of the 10 pictures on the back of the Guru Report are my customer's cars.

I definitely agree with Mojo on this point-if they want you to use Zainos, then they should provide it and pay extra, since if you have to remove swirls you will have to start from scratch with the Zainos process since it won't bond properly with other products.

BTW, an orbital buffer should not cause swirls, but a rotary in the hands of a novice (or a car dealership employee) are notorious for swirling paint.

7. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Good points. Since I work a 10 hour mid shift, the durability is a big issue. I can't always get time to wash/wax the cars. For the lucky folks that can afford to pay someone else to do it, then durability becomes a moot point. If I was detailing professionally I would probably go with an easier/faster/less intensive product as well. You got me on the orbital, rotary is what my mind said, orbital is what my hands typed - Neither is good with Zaino, they both use too much.

Kudo's on the pics on the back of Guru's! Soon as I get my copy back I'm going to check 'em out... Let me try to guess which 7 :bigthumb:

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl:

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Don't you only need to Dawn wash once in the Zaino process? I don't think you need to do after claying...

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

That's correct. I didn't realize that there was instructions on Zaino's site at the time, and was going by "word of mouth". The proper way is Dawn first, and regular Carwash after. Basically I wasted about 15 minutes :hs:

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Gotcha. I'm not really a big Zaino fan, but I like how they have the instructions right on their website.