This car = God

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Alternative, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Alternative

Alternative Guest

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050519.004

I don't know what is wrong with us Americans. I've been driving a diesel car now for about 3 months and I went back to driving a similar sized gasoline powered car and I just could not do it.

Diesel is better than Gasoline in every single way. (Except for the track :o )

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Still isn't better for noise. Although modern diesel's are a lot quieter and more refined than they used to be, no diesel will ever match a petrol engine for aural excitement.

Further more, there is nothing sexy about dumping out clouds of black smoke under heavy acceleration :hs:

Can't beat the torque though.

3. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

honestly...americans are stupid...

a) they(we) don't realize how worthless the hybrid is at this point...i read an article that gas would have to go up to around 7 bucks a gallon to actually even out w/ most regular gas cars...

b) diesel has awesome torque and easily hauls 4 people on the highway...the hybrids are built to shut off the gas on the highway but that doens't work if you need power...cuz if you are hauling 3/4 people its more strain and that just ends up using gas...and lots of it

and about the 'not at the track'...have you ever seen the diesel jag going around the nurb?...its pretty impressive...all things considered...they aren't performance and the only reason is...they are built for gas mileage not power...i'm sure you could make a pretty damn fast diesel car...torque numbers would be untouchable by a gasoline car

4. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

there is a guy in our SCCA club that races a TDI Jetta in Autocross. Does really well with it too. Still can't gt past that cloud of black smoke, as some one mentioned earlier. Every time he punches it, you have to remind yourself "This is normal, its a diesel"

5. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Meh way better out their for the money.

6. Alternative

Alternative Guest

SOme people see the Big picture, others see the small.

You see the small.

And yes, i've seen the Jag going around the Nurburgring. It was rather impressive. Especially when that lady drove it.

But I say that diesels are not good on tracks probably because I have only driven one diesel, and thats my own, and it would not fair well on any kind of track. The only race it would win is a rolling start at 50km/h in 5th gear. :hsd:

And about hybrids:

They are already weaning us off gasoline and onto battery powered cars. I don't see a near future for battery powered cars. I think we should be extending the use of our resources by driving more diesels and in the mean time, we can make battery technology better.

7. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

hehe well said...especially about the rollin start :mamoru:

8. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Has Audi even sold five A8s yet?

I think that VW may have sold one Phaeton in the US, so Audi probably is doing a bit better.

9. CoOkieS

CoOkieS New Member

never seen a phaeton on the street :keke:

10. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

god ur stupid...i hate when people make generalizations...cuz people say no one will buy it definitely doesn't mean it...same went w/ the touareg...everyone said it wouldn't sell cuz it was way more expensive then most suvs minus BMW/Porsches...and guess what i see boatloads of em around here...

a local dealer sold atleast 2 from what i know...i've seen both and see the one probably every couple days...your talkin about cars that cost alot of money so of course there aren't a ton around...and i'm sure you'll see more around a more wealthy area, because i live in nowhere pa...but its like expecting mercedes to sell hundreds of thousands of s600s this year...its not a car for everyone and i don't think vw ever expected the phaeton to sell like the golf/jetta/passat

11. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

When the hell are we going to see these thing stateside, damn low quality diesel and emissions....

Picked up and old copy of EVO magazine the other day. One of the reviews... BMW 320td (150hp, 243lb [email protected]!).

Reviewers were able to get 51.4mpg, and they admitted flogging it.
    They explained they could approach 60 with mostly highway driving.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The cloud of black smoke is burned wax from the fuel. It's the same stuff that comes off the top of a candle flame. People have been burning wax forever. It smells bad, but it's far safer than the chemicals that gasoline releases.

13. KMD

KMD Guest

I :love: my diesel I am on my second and I do not think I will ever own a gas vehicle again.

14. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

I honestly see more Phaetons than S500's and 745i's combined...

15. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

16. chimmay

chimmay Guest

well yes the phaeton is still a vw though...and most people won't buy it because of that...but its funny cuz people will buy an audi like its that much different ;)...but yes the v10 diesel is a huge improvement over these luxury v8s...it may be bigger but it can produce near the same power but with awesome torque numbers so it doesn't feel like a boat on the highway and ur still gettin good gas mileage...

i don't know where the article is but they have done some TT version of the touareg diesel and the torque has been so high that it destroys axles...so when that gets fixed look out :big grin:

17. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

The V10 TDI has more torque than any V8 in the Phaeton's class. It's the most powerful diesel engine you can buy in a production car.

The Touareg's (and the Phaeton's) V10 Diesel IS twin-turbo.

18. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

and, of course, you know better than every engineer who designed the hybrid. :drool:

19. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

Pretty nice car!

20. davequick

davequick New Member

I personally like the Mercedes E320cdi. My wife got the 2005 and runs bio-diesel. No black smoke, 369 lb/ft of torque and that car rocks.

21. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I drove my mom's Jetta TDI around for an evening and I was very impressed with it. Only 90hp, but the tq. is awsome and she moved just as quick if not quicker than my car, (which isn't saying much, but my car has 150hp :run: ) while being way more comfortable, and more fun to drive to boot. :cool: If I had that kind of money, I might just get one myself.

22. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:rofl: If they only sold one Phaeton, then it was to a guy I work with. He bought one about 6 months ago. Another guy I knows father just bought an Amulet Red A8 yesterday.

23. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

I agree but it doesn't = God.

24. Azn_azzho

Azn_azzho New Member

Yup, =/= God....but close :noes:

25. bemder

bemder New Member

supercar can't be diesel:big grin::eek4: