This acer laptop I just bought on ebay...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Mar 26, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Think its any good?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6863074422&fromMakeTrack=true

All the review sites I went to had no reviews. I did track down a couple for the computer, but even judging by the specs of this machine, I would say I got a good deal

cliffs: acer laptop, 2 months old. Bought for under 800canadian. Still in warranty. x600 pcie gfx, 2ghz pentium centrino, 1gb ddr2, 100gb hard drive, 15" screen, dual layer burner.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's an acer... there's a reason they sold it.

And he only accepts wire transfer or western union? And he's in indonesia? Thats a fucking scam, man.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:rofl: people still fall for that?

4. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

he has alot of good feedback?

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah feedback sold me

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

And within the last 24 seconds, some 0 feedback bidder bid a couple times and raised up the price... should this set off my alarms? Did he upsell his own auction? Is it a scan? :noes:

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That isn't too unusual but the word "Indonesia" should set off giant flashing red lights. Anything going to or from Indonesia or Nigeria is a scam until proven otherwise.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

All his other feedback was when he lived in the US. But now that he moved to indonesia, it may not be a scam. This guy has been a hard core ebayer for a while now.

However, maybe someone took control of his account.... he is desiding to end his ebay career and make a couple bucks with this scam.... hes legit.... or, theres something fishy going on. He has no other items for sale right now either, and everything else he sold was in the US....

Im serious guys, is this a scam im walking into? Or will I be expecting laptop? This is the email I got from him 10mins after auction end

....:noes:

EDIT: Should I ask for a penny pic with the computer saying FyreDaug or something on it? :eek3:

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Personally, I'd run far and fast. A penny pic proves he has the laptop -- not that you'll get it. It's not even a good laptop, so I say just walk away. But it's your call -- being the winning bidder, it's shame on you for backing out of the deal, now... But remember that there is absolutely no assurance or proof that he's going to send the laptop, and there is almost no recourse if he chooses not to.

10. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Now Im skurred.... reading through ebay scams

eep

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

How can I get ebay involved to say it may be a scam before I do it. He has no other items for sale, has no RECENT feedback, and now he suddenly lives in indonesia. What about if I get in direct contact with the user? Maybe his account was hacked? With such good feedback, he shouldnt be one to scam. But...... fuck

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You might try contacting some of the other individuals that bought previously from him.

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah but they all bought before he changed to indonesia, and last activity was a purchase on his part from someone else mid march... I emailed ebay, just giving a heads up anyways

14. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Yea just don't pay man. All those payment options he has listed is just as good as sending cash... there is no record of it!

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah, like why would he close his paypal account? All his other auctions list paypal as the preferred option. I dont want to get dinged as a non paying bidder yet, if this guy wants to be a dick about his scam. Im hoping it turns out legit though.... arg.

16. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I hope you didn't buy it yet. The person's history seems like they used Half.com, instead of Ebay. The person may not even have had a Paypal to begin with, as payment is done through Half.com. Tell the seller that due to recent scams from Indonesia and the fact that his accepted payments are not recorded, it is preferred that you use a credit card, through 2checkout.com, and willing to pay the merchant fees (percentage 2checkout.com will take). Paypal doesn't accept accounts from Indonesia. I'm sure he'll object though.

17. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I havent even put the 100's I got from a car sale in my account yet, so I havent even started with his money yet

18. pakman

pakman New Member

You've got a hundred people telling you not to buy it, listen to them.

19. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

walk away.

20. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Fuck, well unless I can get some sort of proof or assurance, this guy aint gettin no money..... no laptop :(

21. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Yep, and even if he shows proof that he has it... again as jollyogre said, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll receive it. You still send the money, he can still deny that he received it, and you don't receive the laptop. Only safe way to pay online these days is through credit card. I'm also glad you came here first before you paid for it.

22. James Bond

James Bond Guest

its not that huge of a deal m8, but he does have a lot of good feedback

23. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Yea, but sometimes people with good feedback have their accounts stolen (phishing), and then list high auctions to steal money.

24. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah and the whole indonesia thing set me off now that you guys mentioned it before.... maybe it was stolen. Its been 24hours since auction end, and he hasnt replied to any emails

25. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

And he responded with:

then: