Thirsty Gelcoat

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

37 foot Dolphin, 8AM-3PM. :squint:

[​IMG]
    The lower 1/5 of the RV, light blue in the pictures, took up almost 50% of my time on site. That gelcoat just kept drinking my supplies- regardless of pad/compound or glaze/designed for urethane or fiberglass. Didn't matter what I threw at it, everything had to be gone over at least twice. Work time was non existant as well- had to move in 1 sq. ft. or smaller areas. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T TAKE CARE OF YOUR RV/BOAT.

[​IMG]
    The rubber roof was cake, took a broom style wash brush to it with Gold Class 3:1 Simple Green. Probably went through 8-10 gallons of wash water to get the whole RV done- and there was still some mildew on the white gelcoat. Used Collinite Fiberglass Cleaner by hand and it worked well- but splotchy on the oxidized surface. Had to follow up with Opti Seal and red pad.

Class A/9ft or taller RV's just went up $1-2 per foot in my book. :hsd:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Never figured out why RV/boat owners wait until the gelcoat is trashed before calling someone out. I looked at one about a year ago (30') and the gelcoat had significant oxidation. Gave him a quote of $1200. He said that was too much, I told him I can't put 25-30 hours into one vehicle for less. He passed on it. Whatever. If he had taken care of the RV, it would have been a lot less; which I told him although I tried to be as nice about it as possible.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

it happens

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Hey, look, I'm the new RV goto guy. I haven't touched urethane in a week and a half!

37FT? Go ahead and call me.
    39.5 FT? Sure.
    43 FT? :rofl:

I raise my prices and they keep calling- raking in the gel coat dough, feel bad for me. :bowdown:

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Motorhome work is hell. Most calls are from owners of old mobile chalkboards (many can't even be buffed). The older the motorhome, the smaller their budget generally. Bid them high, send them away, and feel no guilt.

But the wax/wash jobs can be very profitable.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+11ty

After doing a few wash/wax on 04+ models I won't ever turn them away. It's alot easier to talk someone into spending $500 on an $80K RV vs a $15K RV. Newer models take a ton of water with all the awnings and pop outs, 39.5FT used a little less than 60 gallons and managed to break my rip cord that day on the pressure washer. :squint:

I will be quoting the chalkboards using a 'worst case' price. I swear with that Dolphin in the pics, I put compound on the pad and was only able to do an area equal to the pad's diameter. Too much product/too much time- live and learn.