WEB Thinktank: spending a marketing budget wisely for clear ends

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Futureguy-4DP, May 2, 2009.

1. Futureguy-4DP

Futureguy-4DP 4th dimensional

Hi guys, this post hopes to riff 'purchased marketing' ideas, re: one of my projects...

I'm running a few different sites in my day job, working for an international-dealing company in China. There are a few sites, but this is the lynchpin: http://www.teacherschinanetwork.com
    In essence, the goal of the project is to find 30 teachers for the Sept. 2009 school year (retired pro teacher types looking for a second life, more than ESL backpackers). I don't know any more details, and don't want to – my task is to use Internet media to make the company's goals happen. :wiggle:

Well, I have a USD$1,000 budget to help market the above linked site. I've already got a Google Adwords thing going, but wish to submit a budget report next week, to inform them where I'm going to market, online.

Unfortunately, I'm more of a content man, dunno much about online marketing...

In sum: I need to use my budget to target sites where I'll find retired pro teacher types, or general pro-teacher types from G8 countries, wanting to come to China, civilized.

Suggestions on where I can spend this budget are very welcome! :)

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. marcom10

marcom10 ...

You don't even need the money.

Social media. Start a small blog..post a few videos about you, your journey, and who you're looking for. Get on twitter/facebook/myspace etc by adding people with similar interests and connecting

3. Futureguy-4DP

I've looked into advertising on 'retired teacher' sites like this one: http://retired.teachers.net/

Typical of the bunch: they only have Adsense ads, but are asking for $1,000+ for banner ads.

Those seems like print media prices for not enough gain, thus a waste of money. Surely there are more clever ways to market my goal? :dunno:

4. Futureguy-4DP

Ya, that's a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm more of a media content/editor/writer type, not so savvy on the whole social network thing.

That said, I can see the logic of your idea. I guess I'll have to take a few extra 'quantum conceptual leaps' to figure that stuff out, but 'in for a penny in for a pound', I guess.

5. marcom10

marcom10 ...

just dive into it. signup on twitter, facebook, myspace and start searching/finding people. try using tumblr.com for a blog.

a ton of people say they can't do it or it isn't for them without even trying it. if you never tried writing or editing you would've never been good at it ;)

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

that link doesn't work.

7. Futureguy-4DP