Thinkpad T-20 Loose connection, but where?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Browning, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Browning

Browning Active Member

IBM Thinkpad T-20. Sometimes it turns on fine but the majority of the time it turns on, but the screen isn't showing anything. However, if you press down below the keyboard on the bottom right it works. I'm assuming something is loose inside but not sure what exactly to look for?

2. kimsland

kimsland New Member

The first option is to remove the Hard Drive and Ram modules and any other card or externally fitted device. (this with Power and main battery out before hand)
    Then using high compressed air can (bought from an electronics/computer service shop) blow out all dust in and around all the laptops connections.

Also inspect the power inlet plug for any loose connection (a common issue for all laptops)

If (after re-fitting Ram and Hard Drive and external power) the computer still does the same? Then you would be best in dismantling the laptop to check internal connections.
    There are many disassemble guides on the Net for your computer
    I have found a PDF guide here that you can download: download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/62p9631.pdf
    (As I am not allowed to post links, please copy and paste the above link to your browser address bar)

Following the guide you can disassemble the laptop checking (re-connecting) all connections.
    If you end up removing the main board, I would recommend electronic circuit board cleaner to fully clean all dust (and possible debris) from inside the laptop.
    Note: If using "electronic circuit board cleaner" you must allow the components to dry for approx 1 to 2 days before refitting.

Anyway, I hope its just the Ram or Hard Drive refit ;)
    Please keep us informed :)

3. Browning

Browning Active Member

tore it down and kinda forgot how everything went:rofl:

4. kimsland

kimsland New Member

The above quoted guide will help with that ;)

5. Browning

Browning Active Member

got it all back together and it's still doing the exact same thing.

6. kimsland

kimsland New Member

I see :(
    Well this is what I'd do ;)

7. Browning

Browning Active Member

thinking about taking it outside and re-enacting a certain scene from office space

8. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Patience is a vitue

But I agree that sometimes you are best to leave it for a while, ie walk away.
    Computers can do that to anyone.

Think of it this way, you'll be even more madder if doing all of the above doesn't work!
    So therefore there's still some more in you :big grin: