Thinkpad or Powerbook? need some help choosing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sirmark, Jun 25, 2004.

1. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am trying to decide on a laptop to go with my desktop. My desktop is a custom made pc 3.2 ghz p4 and loaded. I am going into the game design and animation field so i will be using photoshop, 3ds max, maya etc. I have heard that apple is the way to go for video and graphics and all the computers at my school are g4. However i want to be able to do work on my laptop and then put it on my pc and share files etc. The compatibility is the thing that scares me for the mac. I need something with decent battery life so i can take notes or whatever without plugging it in. I dont need a desktop replacement but rather something that can handle the same programs fairly good but be used away from home. Any input on the two would be very helpful. Thanks

2. Mizzark

Mizzark OT Supporter

I just got a 15" G4 Powerbook and I love it. The only thing about compatibility between programs would be the different interfaces on the PC and Mac versions. Even then, I don't think you would have that much of a problem. File extensions work on Macs and PCs just the same, so you don't have to worry about that. If you don't wanna take the time to get used to a different OS, then I would go with the Thinkpad, but once you get used to OSx you'll hate Windows.

3. mimsie

mimsie Guest

I got a 15" combo drive Powerbook a week ago and I must admit I love it too. I have been a PC user for many many many years and my only trouble so far has been getting used to the interface. I'm getting used to it pretty fast though.
    I say the only caveat is that you will have to get new software (i.e. graphic programs are NOT cheap and not as readily "available" for the mac). Otherwise, go for it! (oh yeah, they also tend to be more expensive than Thinkpads. Do you know which Thinkpad you are looking at?)

4. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I've also heard that powerbooks were better for graphics intensive work. I am also looking for a notebook to go with my desktop but I will mainly be using it to surf and do word processing. I'm looking into a T or X series thinkpad. Waiting for one to become available at the $1300 price range with the right specs from IBM.

5. mimsie

mimsie Guest

From experience, I can say that the T series is EXCELLENT. And I really like Thinkpad keypads.
    The X series is perfect if you travel a lot, but if it's sitting at one place a lot it may be too small for you, and you also have to get a separate CD rom drive.

6. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

So far that and the fact that it doesn't have a touchpad are the only drawbacks I see from the X series.

7. p-murdah

p-murdah New Member

almsot got a t41 for 1400, but ibm emailed me and alot of others on fatwallet about a price mistake and canceled the orders :mad:

8. Foolish

Foolish Well-Known Member

ibm puts a much better joystick in their keyboards than the other laptop manufacturers though. it's not just a small nipple anymore, had a decent size top on it.

i'd go with the powerbook personally, unless you just want to stay with windows.