GUN Thinking of trading my M&P9 for one of these...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

[​IMG]

I would be getting one with the safety instead of decocker, and night sights. They hold 19+1 rounds, and I think the standard CZ 75 magazines will work. I like the M&P, but I like the single/double and thumb safety of the CZ 75.

Good idea or not?

2. johnson

johnson New Member

What are you gonna use it for?

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've never been for selling gun for another gun.

Depends on your application. The SP01 are like 1911's, they run awesome, but need a little work to get them to run well. Not that they are any bad box stock, just not to it's true potential is all. I think it's a better gun than the M&P.

But if you were to compare a full blown M&P, to a full blown CZ, not even close, the CZ would blow the M&P out of the water, no questions.

The SP01 has won more IPSC matches around the world than M&P can even claim.

Not saying, stock vs. stock the M&P would win, it would be marginal at best.

Try one before you buy. Don't judge a gun by the spec sheet, it's all about feel. I would also look at the EAA Match, also great guns.

4. texchef

texchef Guest

I like the CZs a ton also but everyone I have talked to says you need to have a little smith work done on them to reach that potential AB13 is talking about.

5. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

Just buy the second gun and don't sell the first one. then you won't regret it and you can make the decission to sell or not later.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm looking for a sturdy single/double 9mm with a manual safety and a rail. I know there are some other choices like a Beretta M9 and SIG/H&K. I held one the other day and thought it felt good. I have a 1911, and I like all metal pistols, this one seems like it could be a nice target gun.

7. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

manual safety's only belong on 1911's.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I really like the SP01. Much more so than the M&P. Only thing that needs to be done with the sp01 is some trigger work. Trigger is not anyway bad as stock compared to the M&P stock trigger which I think is horrible.

If I had to shoot a box stock da/sa gun it would be a CZ

9. johnson

johnson New Member

I like my 75B SA.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

In terms of smith work, one of my best friends is a gunsmith. I have nothing against my M&P really, it's been flawless since I've had it. I don't really know why I am thinking of replacing it other than I would like night sights, and I can get a CZ with them already. My buddy doesn't have a sight pusher, and it would cost me probably $200 for the sights and install on my M&P. That and I prefer an external safety.

I could always get night sights on my 1911 I suppose.

11. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Shouldn't need a sight pusher to install sights on an M&P, pretty easy to do it with a punch and hammer

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Holy shit dude.... $200 for sights!? I assume that you aren't milling anything into the slide..... either do it yourself or find another 'smith who will at least provide you with lube when he drills your asshole like an offshore oil well. No way would I ever, ever pay that kind of money unless machining was involved. You do know what all is involved in changing sights don't you?

My old SP01-
    [​IMG]

It was a Matt Mink gun.... Sold it because at the time I didn't want a gun as big/heavy as it was. Oh... and decockers FTMF'nL.

I can like the feel of the M&P, but a CZ after some trigger work is a world beater. I suggest you try one out before you buy and see if the size/weight is a hinderance. If it is, wait for the polymer frame model to come out, or buy a SA.

Yar, you done anything else with your SA? How did your JPoint/comp aspirations ever work out?

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

At $140 for the set of night sights, I'm not taking any chances at breaking the tubes. The could have gone down in price too, I looked at the cost when I bought the gun a year ago.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Dude...

If your smith is charging you $60 to install some sights, he is not your friend. That's an assfucking, I'm telling you. My local smith charges me $10 to do mine when I let him. It takes him < 10min. I wouldn't pay over $25, and I would only do that if I was pressed for time. Even with the tritium vials it's still a trivial install.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

This is the way it sits right now. Had the slide cut for buried bomars (actually it's a champion bomar clone). The whole gun was finished with NP3, the trigger was done by Kory Charland and it is sweet. Tried to get a champion top end or a comp put on the gun and it was a no go. Short story no amount of money was going to get it done and I tried everyone including Angus. Angus tried to order 50 champion top ends from the factory in the CZ republic and it was back ordered 100 million years.

I have since decided that I'm a glock guy and would only shoot glocks. A year later was rewared with a job that officially makes me a glock guy and get paid to shoot glocks, sell glock stuff, and talk on the phone and net all day about glocks.

[​IMG]

I did experiment with a kadet kit with a jpoint for a while. Did not like how high the sight sits and not enough metal to bury it. Sold the kadet kit.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

the sights take more abuse from recoil than some light tapping with a punch and hammer.

But if you don't feel mechanically inclined, don't do it and ruin your gun. But I tell ya, once you learn how to do it, you'll feel bad for having had someone charge you to do it. :)

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I would be willing to try I guess, but I would have to read up on it a lot before I thought I could do it.

The tritium version of the sights on it are still $140 from Novak, I haven't found a place that sells them cheaper.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

Here is as close as my buddy has gotten to a open gun built on a SP01. He just shoots white box. He does OK with it at steel plate matches.

19. johnson

johnson New Member

Something's wrong when a "best friend" charges you anything.

20. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My friend would do it for free, but he doesn't have a sight pusher. It seems like it's possible to do it without one, so I could do it. I'd feel like a real moron if I goobered them up. Apparently Trijicon makes some sights like my factory low Novaks for $110. :sad2:

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Not hard to do at all. I don't like the sight pushers anyway as they really marr the side of the sight.

Take off your slide and chuck it up in a vice. We use some leather pads so we don't mar the slide. A couple shop towels work in a pinch. Tap the rear sight out with a nylon punch and a small ball peen hammer. You can use a number of things in place of the nylon punch, a piece of wooden dowl pin, or a 1"x1"x3" piece of wood molding. Sight should come out with little trouble. If it is really hard coming out make sure there is not a set screw holding it on.

To get a rear sight on just reverse the process. Now there is a good chance the sight is oversized which is a good thing. You need to file it ever so slightly to get it on. If it is real tight going in don't force it. Pull it back out and take it down on the dove tail of the sight until it goes in snug but not super tight. You want it snug enough that there is no way the sight wanders in recoil, but loose enough that you drift it side to side to adjust windage if nessasary.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've seen that SP01 around the 'net. Looks good. How handicapped do you think he is without a comp?

I'm surprised that no one has jumped on the boat and started putting out compensators for the CZ's. I guess Angus has tried... but it seems someone would be able to come up with something. I'm really surprised that CZ won't sell the Champion uppers to him; they are usually pretty good about making spare parts and such available, I've even seen pictures of a guy that called them and had them mate up a compact frame to a fullsize slide (with matching S#'s) for him.

You need to sell/trade me your SA since you don't shoot it anymore:naughty:

I've been debating on getting rid of my Angus gun for a built SA so I can keep commonality with my new build (DA/SA vs SAO).

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I tried EGW and they did not want to take on the project because they did not think they could make it look right because the way the muzzle is beveled. I offered them $1000 to shut up and just machine it. Did not bite.

Don't know if Angus was BS'ing me about the 100 million year back order but we were pretty serious for a few days. He even had me ready to paypal him for a full champion gun, which he would buy the frame back from me and just sell me the top end. Problem is you just can't get champions in the US. Called CZ USA and they basicly said we are trying to be nice, but no amount of begging is going to get you champion components or upper.

Now that I have access to a full time gun smith and a full machine shop I sure I could get it done. I've given up on the idea. The CZ will stay the way it is. I shoot open glocks now.

As far as selling my CZ you'll have to get in line. I've had offeres from many many people. Including Kory Charland. In fact I keep it in my range bag when I know he is going to be at a match just to toruture him. He is the top CZ shooter in So Cal and is pretty much a monster. He whoops me up and down the range shooting production class. He has the nastiest ugliest garbage CZ too. CZ cut his front sight wrong. (front sight notches run north south instrad of east west. Thus his front sight is way off to the right. He just adjusts his fixed rear sight to favor right. Basicly his sights are not aligned to bore. He says it makes up for his trigger slap. It is the most retared thing I've ever seen but somehow he whoops on people with it. In fact one spring steel match he was less than 3 seconds behind angus who was shooting open and Kory was shooting limited.

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Gawd damn, you were serious about getting a comp weren't you? I can't believe EGW wouldn't do it, especially for a G.... Who gives a fuck what it looks like for that kind of money? I have no business shooting in open class, but the prospect of immense fun intrigues me greatly (I've never had a pistol with glass on top, nor one with a decent comp)

I've heard more about Kory since you first mentioned him (a while back when you were talking about your SA). He does seem to be the real deal; funny that he's doing it with a (somewhat)crap gun. I figured his CZ would be ultra-badass (though I'm sure his trigger at least doesn't suck). He needs to get his FFL so I can send him some work.

My limited CZ should be here shortly and it's only got a few tweaks, some shakedown runs, and a refinish - and I'm out and about at the races; Just in time for the end of the season.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

actually the top dawgs all have pretty beat guns. They look like they got dragged behind a truck.

Todd and Robbie's gun's are all scratched to hell. Looks like they got dropped a few dozen times. I hear the springfield techs don't even bother making robbies guns look nice because he is going to dremel on it anyway.

Kory's trigger is good. Mine is better, and that sp01 open gun (Mike C's) is even better than mine. It seems Kory spends more time on other people's trigger than his own.