MIL Thinking of switching from the Reserves to the Gaurd

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mongoose87, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Mongoose87

Mongoose87 New Member

I'm a CS MP right now, and I want to be combat arms... Thinking about becoming a cav scout or just going 11B. I'm an E-5 right now. Should I just wait till my enlistment is up in a year? What problems will I have as far as my bonus and GI bill if I do switch?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I switched from Reserves to Guard as an E-5 in order to keep my Combat Engineer MOS. I hadn't yet been paid my enlistment bonus by the Reserves, and the Guard honored the bonus.

I was told that if the Reserves had paid my bonus to me, they would have recouped a pro-rated portion from my Guard pay. If your enlistment is almost up, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as there won't be a lot of bonus $$ left to recoup.

I don't know about the GI bill.

My Guard recruiter was outstanding. He would research the fuck out of any questions I had, and whenever I wanted confirmation from "somebody that knew what they were talking about" he had no problem with putting me in touch with the person that knew. For example, I was feeling pretty sketchy about whether the Guard would honor the bonus I was promised by the Reserves. He put me in touch with the NCO that enters your info into the system to pay your bonus. A short conversation later I was sold, and everything he told me was straight up truth.

PM me if you want his name/phone/email.