MIL thinking of signing up for the reserves / national guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KingGargantuan, Aug 5, 2005.

1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

I'm in between jobs at the moment and I want to do something different than sitting behind a desk all day every day. I've done that for nearly 15 years and i'm sick of it.

I want to give something back. i want to do something with my life that will make a difference.

what I feel is the best line of "work" for me that I will feel better going to bed at night: fireman/emt/paramedic.

from what I see, these are the PRO's:
    it will get me into great shape, if i join now, for fire academy.
    it can train me to be a medic/emt/paramedic, so that when it comes time to sign up to be a firefighter, i already have something nice for my resume.
    in virginina national guard, they pay 100% of your tuition/school loans. so i could take more emt classes or whatever
    RETIREMENT. 20 years down the road and i have a nice retirement paycheck option.
    10k signing bonus depending on what MOS I choose.
    full medical during bootcamp/training months.
    they raised their age limit to 35-40, I'm 34, and there are alot of older guys joining up now that would be in my bootcamp.

to me, these are the CON's:
    potential 6 months away from my family and 13month old baby, making whopping 2k a month while i'm gone
    $200 a month for one weekend a month, two weeks a year (can be pro or con depending how you look at it)
    potential 18+ months away from family if they ship me off to iraq (virginia national guard is an infantry unit)

so basically the only thing that scares me away from signing up is the time spent away from my wife and kids, mostly my youngest who's almost 14 months old and really really attached to me (he'll cry if the wife tries to take him away from me). I dont want to come home after 2 years and he not remember me or have that same bond with me that he has now.

:dunno:

so tell me what you think.

my bday is sept 21 and i'll be turning 35. if i join somewhere else that is less likely to be sent off (air force), they need me to sign up before my 35th birthday. the appeal of the natl guard is the fact that they help out the community - they give back to the community by helping out in disasters and whatever.

i dunno.. i neeeed direeection. i think i could also benefit from military training in that i suck at teamwork and i could use some discipline. better late than never. :mamoru:

ok. end of novel. thanks for reading HOLLA

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

as a reservists:

you make 150 for two days of drill and 900 dollars for the 2 weeks training.

you do not get enlistment bonuses. reservists are not entitled to any.

you do not get 100% tuitition assisstance. you only get a percentage and the SR GI bill which is only $20k in total with a monthly payout of $250 only if you're taking full time credits.

if you need boot camp to kick your butt into shape, the second you get out, especially at your stage of life, you will be fat again in 2 months.

full medical during boot camp means whatever problems you have they give you a couple ibuprofen pills and tell you to drink water. reservists do not get medical or dental afterwards unless you're deployed for a year.

you want retirement checks? so you're gonna be doing this for 20 years? when you're 55? um.. okay..

this isn't a good plan. you're joining for all the wrong reasons. abort.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

If you join the Army Reserves/Guard, you will absolutely deploy to either Iraq (most likely), Afghanistan, or Kuwait (least likely) sometime during the duration of your first enlistment.

As kidhero mentioned, I am also not aware of any signing bonus for Reserve/Guard (please proved a link if you know of one).

Ditto what kidhero mentioned about medical/dental. That is only available if/when you are on orders for active duty. Weekend training and your two weeks in the summer don't count.

The $ kidhero mentioned depends on your rank. My experience with Air Force Reserve is that they make rank very quickly, assuming the unit they are assigned to has available slots. The higher your rank, of course, the higher the $ per training day -- and if/when activated, you would make the full-time $ for that rank until you were placed on reserve status again.

So weigh the above against the career training and potential positives to being deployed before you sign. You are the only one who can say whether it is worth it or not for you. Good luck with your decision!

4. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

I recently joined the Mass Natl Guard and I got a 10,000 enlistment bonus for critical MOS, I'm also getting GI, GI Kicker, and 100% Free Tuition. Benefits seem pretty good to me, but they are just bonuses... I'd do it for free.

5. Ranger-AO

:eek3: I have not seen details of this anywhere online. Any chance you could post a link? :cool:

6. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

The signing bonus is just because I joined the Army National Guard as 11b, which is a crit MOS. That is well known, yes?

Any help? :dunno:

http://www.1-800-go-guard.com/money/money_state_ma.html

Educational Benefits 100% tuition waived at state university, state college & community college. Undergrad to PhD.

Need links for GI bill and kicker too?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

what's teh GI kicker? you're getting the 50k regular Mont GI bill?

8. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

Because I signed up for a 6 year TOE with the National Guard I qualified for the kicker which is basically just another couple hundred bucks a month on top the regular GI Bill.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  9. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

hmm that natl gaurd deal sounds good.

10. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

11. Ranger-AO

Thanks for the details and links! :bigthumb: