Thinking of selling my car stereo system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by veonake, Oct 11, 2005.

1. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Well, I'm getting a new car and I think I may want to go for something different than my old setup. It will be an m3, and it has 5.25 kicks and the new boston pros or boston z's are tempting. Anyway, I want to get a feeler for what you guys think I should charge, here is the system (w/MSRP prices):

Polk MM6 Components ($350)
    Polk C400.4 Amp ([email protected]) ($450)
    JL 250/1 Amp ($300)
    JL 12w3v2 sub ($200)
    Wiring ($200)

So, MSRP it adds up to $1500. Of course I don't expect that much. What would you guys pay for that system?

2. Arc

Arc New Member

i dont know how much you would want to sell for but i would be interested in the polk C400.4

anyway how does that amp sound looking for a good component amp for a 3 way system.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

first off, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay... but when i co-owned a pawnshop, we paid 1/4 the msrp so we could sell it for 1/2 price on car audio.

we always figured...
    the second you walk out the store, it's worth 1/2 even though it's nib.
    you own it for up to a year, it's worth 1/4 of the price.
    after a year god luck getting an 1/8 of the price.

wiring is usually worthless, once it's been installed.

i see about $650 as a return... anything more than that, and consider yourself lucky.

4. veonake

That wouldn't be worth selling then really, but thanks. There's nothing wrong with the equipment, it's all nearly flawless and sounds good. Maybe I'll just get rid of the speakers and try something new there. I'm looking to go for a high-end component speaker that has a coaxial amount a la Boston Z's.

Btw, I'm talking RCA's, not speakerwire. The RCA's are long and are one of the top models by monster cable. I'd say actual MSRP is $150, and on second thought, I'd probably keep the RCAs haha. Not gonna get anything better.

5. veonake

Depends on the speakers. I'm someone who believes any decent amp sounds the same. Most people that know this amp would probably say it's good bang for the buck. I believe mine rated at 90 or so watts/channel @ 4 ohms even though it's listed as 75. It is a 4-channel amp, so it won't do a 3way system, but of course you can use it for your mids/highs and that's what I did. Now with what twisted said I'm not sure about selling. What would you offer?

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

try e-bay, and see if you can get a bidding war going. :dunno:

7. Arc

Arc New Member

ok so if a 4 channel wont work for 3 ways...(first time dealing with them) what will...

i know you dont like having a rear stage at all but i have a set of bostons in the front right now and when i get the new component set (either 2 or 3 way) i am planning on putting them in the rear and amping them since i think my current wiring is shot.

thanks

8. veonake

Ya know, I probably was a little confusing. My amp will power 3-ways as long as you use the supplied passive XO. Just bridge the amp and it will put out about [email protected] Or, you could use a 2-channel. And, finally, you could go full active with a 6 channel amp and ditch the supplied XO.

Do whatever sounds best, I prefer no rear as you said, but if you already have the speakers and like the sound, go for it.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

if you're interested i can get you JL, Phoenix Gold, MB Quart, Eclipse stuff at cost... I'm at a different shop now.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for a speaker similar to the style of Zs id say:

CDT ES-630Z

off the top of my ehad

11. veonake

You present a very tempting offer lol. Are those the only brands that you can get at cost? Also, if I am interested in prices should I just send you a PM with a list or...? Thanks man.

12. Arc

Arc New Member

same as veonake said...let me know. interested in jl and MB Q.

veonake if i use a standard 4 channel amp i can just power the 3 ways like a normal component set if i use the crossover? (just to make sure)

13. veonake

Yes. I'd bridge it into 2-channels so you utilize full power of course, unless you want to run something else off the other 2 channels.

14. veonake

I'll have to check to see if any stores around here carry CDT so I can check them out. For a city as big as San Diego, it seems we are lacking in good car audio stores.

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

shoot me a PM with a list, i might me able to get more, but as of right now thats what i have instore.