thinking of putting an SSD or two in my PC, RAID cards?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maleman876, Apr 17, 2009.

1. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

ive got an abit ip35-e right now. i didnt spring for the "pro" or whatever the fancier one was, so i dont have onboard RAID.

i want to get an OCZ vertex SSD. i can get a 60gb for $200, or i could get two 30gb for $240 and run them in RAID 0. what's a good RAID card (PCI, SATA2) thats not in the $300 range :eek3:

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Cheap RAID cards FTL. You'd be better with onboard. Just go with the single 60GB.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

why would you want to spend so much money on disk and then cheap out on the controller? what are you doing anyway that you could possibly use that much IO with so little storage and so little care for your data? RAID0 = maximum performance and worst reliability. it is significantly worse than just running a single drive on its own for reliability.

4. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

that's why im asking, i figured the cost of 2x30gb and 1x60gb was so close, and if i could theoretically double my performance for cheap i would. if i cant, ill just rock 1x60gb :dunno:

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you'd get better performance with lower reliability. with 1 drive you only have to worry about 1 drive failing. with 2 drives in a stripe, if either drive fails you'll lose both.

6. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

it would just be my OS and apps, nothing irreplaceable. looks like ill just do 1 drive

7. lowfat

You won't double the performance. You'll double the throughput. That doesn't mean it will perform twice as good. For most part you wouldn't notice it.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

As far as striped SSDs being less reliable, they should not be able to suffer from data loss. I don't know about the OCZ one in questions, but in theory the SSD drive should disable writes when it is about to die and only allow reads. Therefore you would be able to clone the drive to a new one and have no data loss.... Again, this is all new shit so even with the drives that state they have this feature I wouldn't trust it with anything important.

9. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

in that case, i wont even bother.

single drive it is

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Whatever you do, if you're going to put the OS on the SSD, you need to get one with SLC-type memory in it. MLC doesn't work well with the OS installed on it, for reasons I don't entirely understand.

11. lowfat

not correct. Besides the Intel X25-E (which is $13/GB) all the SLC drives are slow as shit.

12. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=25

the vertex is right behind the intel drives, and half the cost, would be fine for me. these drives dont have the stuttering problems of the JMicron controller ones.

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If this is anything like the chips used in thumb drives, it's the other way around. SLC is faster than MLC.

14. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That's a pretty old benchmark. There's been a fuck ton of stuff released since then. Plus, the transfer rates are a lot faster now too.

Two of these 32gb Samsungs in a RAID0 would dust that OCZ drive.
    They're $115 each at Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147055

And yes, it's SLC chipped.

15. lowfat

SLC can be faster than MLC. But the only good SLC drive on the planet is the X25-E which is $13/GB vs the $4/GB of the X25-M. Which almost performs as good.

No way in hell would the perform better than a Vertex. 100MB/s reads, 80MB/s writes. Vertex gets 240MB/s reads and 140MB/s writes. Not to mention how the Vertex smashes the Samsung in IOPS, which is the most important part. The ONLY reason to get those Samsung SLC drives is they'll last a long time.

And old benchmark? Its a month old. :hsugh: There has maybe one new hard drive released, the Corsair P256, which is also MLC based.

16. lowfat

Did you even look at the review? The samsung SLC drive gets absolutely creamed. Besides the dogshit Jmicron-based drives, it is the worst SSD tested.

Not to mention the Vertex performs even better now do to a better firmware.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3535&p=3

17. deusexaethera

My understanding is that SLC drives have better-balanced read and write times than MLC drives do, which is important for a drive with an OS on it.

Either way though, good SSDs still cost a metric shit-ton of money. You can't pull in stats from reasonably-affordable drives and use them for comparison.

That being said, I really do wish the premium-quality ones would come down in price so I could pack four of the fuckers into a RAID.

18. lowfat

SLC are only better at writing. However since every single SLC on the planet (minus the X25-E) use old ass chips with shitty ass controllers, SLC SSD's suck ass. There is suppose to be an SLC based OCZ Vertex here soon, and it should perform well.

19. dissonance

Ehhh, not every single SLC, just every single non-enterprise SLC...

The $10k+ ones kick serious ass, which takes them out of the conversion though

20. lowfat

Which drives do you mean? I don't consider the PCIe variants exactly an SSD.

21. dissonance

We are doing SSDs where I work. They are fibre channel and SATA models but cost us $600-$X0,000 per drive. That price will then be marked up by us and then again by OEMs before being the end user price.... Based on the cost of the drives I don't think they are really relavent to any potential SSD owner here though. But there are really good SSD drives out there, I don't think I can mention any model names/makers of them since I don't know if any of that info has been publicly released yet.

And no, I don't work for a drive manufacturer...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  22. deusexaethera

Right, that's what I mean. All SSDs read fast, but MLC-type SSDs have crappy write speed, whereas SLC-type SSDs can write almost as fast as they can read.

23. deusexaethera

Why not? It's non-volatile long-term solid-state storage. Who cares how it connects?

Hell, in ten years we might not even have hard drive cables anymore; ALL of our storage might plug directly into slots. Why not do it that way?

24. dissonance

I do agree with deus on this one. RAM-discs are a form of SSD and they are becoming more available. They are still out of the reach of most consumer because of their cost but they do exist and have great performance.

They don't all connect directly into the motherboard via slots though. Some are stored externally in their own rack enclosure and others fit into 5.25 bays and connect like any other disc drive.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  25. lowfat

Because they are $3K+ each. Obviously people aren't going to buy them for their home machines.