Thinking of picking up a 36.7gb Raptor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ayutollah, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

Are these really worth it? I hear they can be quite loud but they are also fast as hell

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

36.7GB is a standard size for hard drives that are going to be used in RAID setups. I don't know why, but they're very prevalent in RAIDs. If you're only going to use a single drive, I'd get a bigger one than 36.7GB. It's pretty easy to use up that space in a year or so, nowadays.

Also, if you're only going to use a single drive, I strongly recommend Seagate over any other brand. The only Seagate drive I ever had fail on me was one that was stuck in a server that bounced around the inside of a U-Haul truck for 600 miles from Boston to DC. It was the only one out of 40 drives in the RAID that failed, too. Not bad odds if you ask me.

3. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

I'd be using it as an OS drive, I have a 250GB sataII for everything else

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I'd opt for the 74GB one.

And yes they are loud, i have mine in an Antec Sonata and the Raptor is the only thing i hear.

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

The 36gb Raptor doesn't have command queing built in to it. There are other SATA drives with more space that would probably be a better value.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

don't do it. The only reason I have one is because I got it when they first came out. The 74 is noticibly faster.

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, definitely go for the 74GB drive... the performance/storage difference is worth the difference in price.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

If you have the money get the 150GB raptor it's the fastest between the three sizes right now.