Thinking of new Computer! Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by loot, Jul 28, 2006.

1. loot

loot Lurker

So from what I hear building my own Pc would be alot cheaper. I would be using it for gaming (WoW,FPS) and browsing internet/msn etc.
    So could someone let me know what processor/mobo/graphics card/ram etc.
    would be good?
    where to buy parts from?
    Or any tips to help me out overall

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

It isn't always cheaper to build your own, no. But if you buy parts that are crappy enough I'm sure it's possible.

Everything I buy and have bought for years is from www.axiontech.com.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

Cheaper is subjective. "Gaming" meaning what? Would the games you're interested in have any special hardware requirements? If not emachines is the way to go. Wait for a sale at Best Buy and pick one up for $300 after rebates*

*I've always received every rebate I've ever sent in for best buy

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

OMG I've never heard anyone recommend an E-Machine! Don't do that to him!!

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how can you try to tell me you're not an idiot, 7960, but then you recommend an emachine?

6. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Can I agree with you on this and you not throw a fit? :)

7. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I thought retailers were phasing out rebates?

If you're gonna build, I'd suggest newegg. I build all systems with parts from there. They ship your order really fast.

Make sure you understand how to put a pc together. Its not hard at all, but its always good to know what you're doing.

CPU - Intel just released their Core 2 Duos. They'll probably be in stock at retailers by mid august. If budget is a concern, get the cheapest Core 2 Duo, the E6300.
    Motherboard - I've had good experiences with ABIT and Asus. If you can, get a motherboard with the latest chipset (975X? someone correct me if im wrong), that would be good.
    Ram - DDR2 (check the motherboard for the type of ram it supports) from OCZ, Corsair, Crucial. I've built budget systems with Patriot, and its pretty stable.
    Video Card - Again, this depends on your budget. Right now, I think Nvidia has some good stuff. 7900GT is around 249-269. Great card. If you're gonna go cheaper, try 7600 GS.
    Power supply - I've had good experiences with Antec, Thermaltake, Seasonic.
    Hard drive - Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi

Then just add whatever else you need, like DVD burner, case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, (legal) copy of windows etc.

On newegg you can add items to your cart and price out a whole system.

If you want, Dell has some pretty decent gaming rigs, the XPS series. Velocity Micro is a good brand as well. Don't pay for that Alienware shit.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  8. 7960

7960 New Member

we've done this before and I proved you wrong then. You want me to do it again? Deuxthera would love it.
    Reliability and Service Report Card

Which manufacturers can you trust? More than 32,000 readers sound off about their PCs, cameras, printers, gateways, and PDAs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/112915-8/article.html

EMachines Steals the Show

Talk about a turnaround: In previous surveys, asking EMachines owners about their PCs' reliability usually elicited tales of woe from respondents. In our latest report, its overall rating is Good. In fact, the company grabs the number one spot on several reliability and service measures. For instance, EMachines respondents experienced the lowest percentage of problems when they first turned on their PCs--just over 2 percent (our survey average was almost 5 percent).
    Better than Dell in all but one category.
    http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=112915&page=8&zoomIdx=8

But!! But!! I heard emachines sucks and I'm a lemming that just repeats what I heard on teh intarentes!!! :rolleyes:

9. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

I am seconding the Newegg recommendation. Most of the components for my last build came from them.

As for mobos, I definitely agree with Abit. I have an ABit KN-8 and the board is rock solid. I also recommend DFI and MSI.

I also got Lite-On Optical drives which happen to be the best bang for the buck.

As for RAM, add G.Skill to the list.

10. morgue

morgue New Member

Well you can get a good system from HP and it's not that expensive compared to "make your own" and you've got great customer support and guarantee on the whole thing... the question is: Do you know HOW to connect together the parts you'll buy?

11. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Emachines = Trigem = Fail.

Besides, that survey is shit. Three years or older, "HP IS LAGGING." Yeah, that's logical, considering that HP uses Asus, Infineon, LG-Hitachi, Maxtor Diamondmax, and Sony parts.

None of that generic crap the other companies use.

12. Clarity

Clarity New Member

my thoughts==i see super lurker

13. Clarity

Clarity New Member

btw, after reading a bit, i agree with 7960 - emachines aren't bad.

my friend got a 1400 one not too long ago, and he says so far, it's running fine.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

saying that emachines is better than a dell is like comparing a hyundai and kia... In the end, you're still looking at the shittiest cars on the market.

15. royalk4

royalk4 New Member

Loot.

If you are gaming. Like you said in the original post. There are a couple of Factors to COnsider.

1. What is your Budget
    2. What resolution do you want to be able to play at? If you don't know... then do you want it to be super clear and have 0 GPU lag or would you be ok playing on Medium Settings.
    3. When you say FPS and WoW those are significantly different types of Games Graphically. By FPS do you mean CSS or something more intense like HL2, BF2, FEAR?
    4. How future proof do you want to be. 1 year 2 years 5 years?
    5. Do you have an AMD vs. Intel Preference?
    6. ARE you OVERCLOCKING?

I would recommend Something along these lines

1. CPU AMD X2 4200+
    2. MSI/ASUS/DFI Mobo. Not SLI/Crossfire because they are not significant increases in graphics capabilities
    3. 2GB RAM DDR G.SKill/OCZ
    4. 7900GT/X1900XT Video Cards. For the 7900GT card go with eVGA great company and if their cards stop working they RMA no questions asked
    5. For HDD/ and other drives that is your preference.
    6. PSU- Something in the 500w Range from a Company like Forton, Antec, OCZ, Silverstone, Enermax.

That is a decent start for a good gaming machine. Probably close to 1000US not including Monitor or OS. Good luck... Before you do a build I would strongly recommend learning how to do one. There are numerous sites out there. Tomshardware and Anandtech and OCIA.net all have great walkthroughs for building and OCing your Computer.

Companies to Buy from:
    1. Newegg
    2. Chiefvalue
    3. ZZF