Thinking of moving to Serial ATA?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Diet Gravy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Diet Gravy

Diet Gravy Guest

Here's a warning about the MSI Serial ATA CD-RW and combo drive: it does not comply with the serial ATA spec. If you use it with anything other than a handful of Intel motherboards, it will burn coasters, it will destabilize your system.

I didn't read carefully enough before buying - this information is on their site - but you have to be careful because the price is very good (too good to be true as it turns out) compared to the other SATA CD burners on the market.

So, what're your experiences with Serial ATA?

Other than that, I think SATA is great! :)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SATA HDDs are awsome. My only experience with SATA optical drives is with Plextor, and they're also great.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Someone seriously needs to bitch slap hardware engineers that don't comply with a spec. How hard can it be? Are they just lazy?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then we wouldn't get DVD+/-R... Sometimes you have to break the spec to do what you want, and either a new spec emerges, or the existing spec changes to accomodate.

Motherboard manufacturers have been breaking the ATX spec for a while now... Thats why you see version 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, etc... Someone needs something the spec doesn't provide for, they take what they need, and the spec evenually changes to keep up.

Remember the 4-pin P4 connector? There's an example!

Of course, for every change that we came to adopt and love, there were 2 more that failed miserably. Only time will tell on this one.