MIL Thinking of joining the army...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DyingToGetAway, Jan 23, 2006.

1. DyingToGetAway

DyingToGetAway New Member

Hey everyone, this is the first post I have started outside of the intro section. Just wanted everyone to know that.

Anyway, I would like to ask people what they think of the army, I was thinking of joining up in the Army and I wanted to know whether or not anyone who is in the Army now is happy that they did it or not.

2. Changed

Changed Guest

just a little note, this forum accepts people that dont have AV's alot more warmly than the OT section of the site :wavey:

3. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

I'm in the Army now. Just got back from a year in Iraq about a month ago.

With that in mind, i can tell you that just like any other job in this world, you get what you put into it. If you want to have a negitive attitude and be a shit bag, then you're days are gonna be shitty. Sure, there are PLENTY of times when you'll just kick yourself in the head, because the army does things that dont make sense at all. It's known for that. But you just have to take it as it comes.

I joined because i wanted to jump start my life, i needed to get my ass outa the slump i was in, and expand my world. Do i regret it? Not at all. Is it tough? At times it is, Iraq was no joke. But there's plenty of times when i look at myself in the mirror, in the uniform i wear, and i think, "goddamn, i cant picture the way i was two years ago."

So in the end, it's up to you. It'll change you. no doubt about that. You'll have a different outlook on life, and respect things a bit differently then before. But overall, i would always suggest it.

:wavey:

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Welcome to Teh Barracks! :wavey:

edited by Ranger-AO :eek3:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  5. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

Before you make a choice check out all the other branches. I'm airforce and i love it. Airforce doesn't mean you fly planes either like everyone thinks.

6. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

don't listen to ozner. its army or nothing. I loved basically every minute of my enlistment, sure bosnia sucked...both times. But i also have some of my best memories from there, same thing with boot camp, at the time it sucked but again, great memories. I'd say give it a shot. Its only a few years and the experience is something you cant replace.

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rolleyes: let him decide for himself.

8. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

^^^^ Why i didn't join the army. I work a 9-5 day and have weekends off. Get deployed for only 90days and i work in a hospital.

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

And thats the difference in the Marine Corps. We emphasize on how hard it is, not how easy it is.

Some people take pride in that sort of stuff.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This is pretty much why I joined the Air Force many years ago. The only regret I've had over the years is that I didn't go in with a combat arms job. But that's a selfish regret, as the job I did get set me up for a profitable career (and I'm fixing the combat arms thing now with the Army Reserves).

11. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

like insdav said join whatever branch you feel you would fit best in

i however do have to throw in that the air force is definitely the best way to go if you want to be able to take college classes while in, as well as get a job that you can apply when you get out of the service. Also air force bases are waaay nicer than the other services

air force = country club :o

but good luck whatever you decide to do!

12. burton564

burton564 New Member

i'll agree that air force bases are nice, but so are many army posts. Granted the air force living is better. But i am completely sick of hearing that air force works 9-5, cause thats bullshit. Any maintence that i have seen in the AF works 3 shifts a day, but then again army maintence doing the same thing only works 9-5. Job hours depend on what kind of job you have. So if everyone would quit saying that air force only works day shift i would appreciate it.

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I would suggest you go Air Force. 'Cause pretty much everybody agrees that the Air Force only works day shift. :dunno:

:fawk: Actually, the Air Force does have something over the other services in this respect. Generally speaking, you are much more capable of making long-term plans in the Air Force. If you're on the Swing Shift, you pretty much know that your hours are going to be set for the forseable future. Same for Day Shift, Midnight Shift, etc. From what I've seen of the Army, you have pretty good working hours for the most part (day shift) but you can count on semi-frequent training excercises that will take out out in the boonies for several days at a time. Navy and Marines (on sea duty) can count on months away from the home/family at a time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  14. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

:werd: