MIL Thinking of joining the army reserves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mk3, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

Got a few Questions.

I want to do Light Weight Vehicle Repair.

Basic Training: Do I get to choose when to go? How long is it? What happens afterwards?

I am not thinking about this that seriously yet. The thought just entered my mind about 2 weeks ago.

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Basic is 9 weeks, though I heard a rumor it might be getting longer. You will have some choice on when you will go. It is based on the training cycles so you won't be able to pick an exact date but they can tell you all the available dates to leave. After you complete basic you will ship out to AIT to be trained for your chosen MOS, after you complete that you will come home and start doing the normal reserve stuff.

3. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

What are the chances of me being called in to Active Duty after I complete Basic and my MOS training?

4. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

also when do I get the sign-on bonus:hs:

5. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

You won't get it all at one time.

You will have absolutely no control on getting activated and being deployed.
    If the Army needs you then they will activate you.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

These days you are almost guaranteed to be activated at some point, if you really don't want this chance I suggest not joining. Enlistment bonuses are paid upon completion of AIT

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

"Basic is 9 weeks, though I heard a rumor it might be getting longer."

Isn't this a rumour for every single branch of the military on going for 20 years now?

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Beats me, I just remember reading something recently about it. Army basic did increase from 8 weeks to 9 weeks right not long after I went through in '98 though.

9. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

dont do it, it will be the biggest mistake of your life

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Your insightful and extremely detailed post leaves me entirely underwhelmed at your intellectual capacity.

To the thread starter:
    You can sign up under the Delayed Entry Program, where you decide how far down the road you will go to basic training. Get with your recruiter for more details. The exact date would have to match an available slot for your MOS.

If your MOS will be 63B, the AIT is 10 weeks.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/resources/mos_descriptions.htm
    http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mos/ordnance/63b.html

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  11. 134k

134k New Member

You may also want to be careful, since the Stop Loss gets activated every now and then. You may end up being "locked" in and getting deployed with no way out.

12. Ranger-AO

You will absolutely be deployed at some time during your reserve comittment.

13. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

don't join unless you want to be hassled by incompetent high school drop outs who claim to have leadership abilities. also, unless you want one weekend wasted every month to go to drill and sit around doing nothing but drug tests and the same map training, then go for it. expect to be deployed to the middle east after you get done your training and expect to be screwed over by countless people, including your recruiter. Expect your fellow reservists to do absolutely no work while you, "the new guy" will basically carry them on your shoulders. you only get 1/2 of your sign bonus when you finish your training, and you get 1/4 every year from that date, but dont expect your sign bonus to be over $3,000.
    oh yeah, and expect to follow stupid ass regulations and rules that make no god damn sense.

my advice to you is go to school to become a mechanic, you will make a ton of alot more money, and you wont be inconvienced by having to drop everything in your life and go to war for a year and a half.

14. Ranger-AO

link to something that says the signing bonus for Reserves/63B MOS is $3000, payable as above?

15. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

I already went to school for automotive technology for the past 2 years and am about to finish with a degree. I still am only 20 years old and not fully ready to commit to a 9-5 job that I will have for the rest of my life.

Joining the army isnt just about the money to me. I can be kind of lazy sometimes and I find myself drinking to much and getting into trouble. I think the army can fix that. Its about doing what I think needs to be done for myself and I think I will come out a lot better person for doing so.

I dont want to have any regrets when im an old man.

16. 134k

134k New Member

little known fact....you can join any reserve unit (any branch) and request to be transferred back to the IRR at anytime (except Stop Loss not being enforced, or you are Deployable) if you feel it's not worth your time.
    Have a good backup excuse as to why you want to be transferred back to the IRR. 90% of the time they will allow it, seeing that it's unfit to keep an unmotivated soldier/sailor around when they don't want to stick around-

17. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

63B FTL...

A lot of stress like a mother fucker. Be a Generator mechanic.

You can sort of choose when you want to go to basic, you can pick your range, just probably not the exact date. Basic Training is 9 weeks, plus however long your AIT is going to be. After AIT, you maybe able to take leave or go straight to your unit that you're assigned to either in MEPs or during basic/AIT.

18. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

I have experience as a mechanic and I think I could do pretty well
    :hs:

19. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I wasn't questioning your skills or nothing. Just saying its going to be a pain in the ass. Everytime we go to a field problem, almost every humvee has something wrong with it. It cand be "100%" in good working conidition, but somehow something always manages to get fucked up.

20. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

Do you know anybody doing 63B? Do they seem like they are stressed out all the time? Cause the only reason I would want to do light weight vehicle repair is because its what i know how to do, but I could learn something new if its going to be a pain in the ass.

21. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I knew a lot before i got out. I mean, honestly, if thats what you want to do, then do it. All personal preference.