Thinking of installing Fedora Core on my laptop..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Thoughts? I have no experience with Fedora (by name, have experience with RH though).

I've had issues in the past where I blew out a windows hard drive to install linux, didn't like it, but couldn't get windows back on it because the MBR got messed up. Don't want this issue.

Can I dual boot safely?

Basically I'm sick of windows issues with my laptop. I need to reformat it seems every 60 days or so to keep it running smoothly. I know how to use a PC and how to keep it in good running shape, however I'm tired of the issues. I need this for work..

Thoughts about switching from XP Pro to Fedora Core 4?

PC4 2.8 GHz with 512MB of RAM (448 because of shared RAM).
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
    Broadcom Wireless, Realtek 10/100...

2. peerk

peerk New Member

You should be able to dual boot safely. I am dual booting Fedora Core 4 on my laptop with XP.

But this wasn't always so. I had to edit a boot loader file because it was trying to boot XP from a partition with out an OS on it. Either I messed up during the install or it autodetected my partitions wrong.

Also I don't think your last linux install killed windows(unless you wrote over it). If something like that happens again you can try fixmbr. Or playing around with grub or lilo.

The only other thing that gave me trouble was getting wireless working with WPA. But I eventually got it working with ndiswrapper and wpa supplicant.

This helped me out: http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc4-tips.php

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  3. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Actually, I haven't had much luck dual-booting FC4. I like Fedora well enough generally, but it seems pretty bitchy about what hardware configs it goes on (and mine have always included dual-booting). It gives no complaints at all during install - everything looks good to go. But after first reboot, windows is no longer an option and the FC install doesn't boot either. These complications have, for the most part, put me off the distro. Ubuntu never gives me any grief about installing, and the deb repositories have many times more software available anyway.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

FC4 is not very desktop friendly. Thats not its thing. Its intended to be an open platform that is compatible with Redhat.

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I just flat out haven't had good luck with FC at all. It's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Would recommend something like Suse, Kubuntu or Gentoo.

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I've used the redhat series from about version 4 up through FC3, and I've never had more than minor problems. :dunno:

If it doesn't install windows as a boot OS, just add it yourself. All you have to do is edit the conf file for lilo (or grub, depending on which you use).

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i have it setup on my laptop. i did a fresh wipe (had so, some corruption problems originaly), and i beleive i installed xp. then partitioned with partition magic or something. and then isntalled FC4 on it. but i could be totaly off, i did it a few months back.

only problem is getting the wireless to work. i tried using... meh. i forgot the name. some wrapper that makes it possible to use the windows drivers in linux. ndis wrapper? i'm too lazy to check.

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yes. ndiswrapper. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

If yours is a Broadcom, try to find the Dell drivers.

PS don't use the one that comes with your distribution. Download it new and build it yourself. That way it's guaranteed to work.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't do it! Fedora Core will invade your mind and make you eat babies!

(yawn) sorry for the idiocy, my brain is fried from writing a user manual all day.