Thinking of going to Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SycoPhant, Jan 13, 2008.

1. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Since I had to replace the mobo in my Huge Pile I've had a cornucopia off complications, most extending from being unable to use the proprietary HP windows discs as the board isn't branded any more.
    My parents got a new Dell w/ Vista Home on it, I kind of like it. I'm thinking of picking up Ultimate 64 off Ebay for $189, and it'll be a business purchase. Just wanted to see what you guys think of it...

2. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Its a tarp.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I've been using it on my new laptop for about 3-4 months now. Its got its idosycracies, but it seems fine to me. Personally, i really like the new search ability from within the start menu... the downside is my start menu is horribly unorganized, but the up side is i don't care, cuz i just hit the Windows Key and start typing in the name of the prog i want... and it searches (usually pretty quickly).

Alot of people dislike it... but i think it comes down to personal preference. If you're going to buy a new PC, i'd say get Vista. Just make sure you have enough RAM... cuz it does eat up ALOT of it.

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've been using Ultimate 64 bit and have had no real issues at all. In the first two weeks, I had the system reboot randomly twice. No idea as to why and I even had the auto reboot turned off. Since then, it has not done it again.

TRhe only thing I have an issue with is hybernation. I set it up and it was perfect for about a week. I changed my screensaver and now sometimes my screensaver doesn't come on and even if it does, the system never goes into hybernation/sleep.
    Probably will reinstall vista in another month or tweo for the heck of it and see if it helps.

I hate the new start menu also. never knew you could just type the program name in. thanks. :coolugh:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh, so they fixed the overly-complex XP-style Start Menu by adding a built-in command line? Brilliant! :coolugh:

(office space voice) Yeah...I'm just going to go ahead and...keep my classic Start Menu organized by software vendor...

6. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

It's more of a find-as-you-type search/command bar than just a command line. It's really pretty cool.

The classic start menu is still there, just organized in an in-place tree view rather than popping out new panels with each level that you go into. I see this as an improvement because now it's a lot harder to mouse off the panels by accident and have your whole start menu view close.

The search bar is quite faster for me. For example, with Vista I can:

1. Press the start button on keyboard
    2. Type "Mouse"
    3. Press enter
    and I'm at the Mouse settings. The process is similar for every program I have installed or file in my Documents folder.

in XP it's:
    1. Move hand to mouse
    2. Press Start
    3. Press Settings
    4. Press Control Panel
    5. Find and press Mouse

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Actually, in XP it's Windows-R, main.cpl then hit enter

:fawk:

8. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!