thinking of going to linux for my home server- some Q's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I have a multi-media server setup for hosting all my music and vids. currently I'm running XP professional, and it's working fairly well, but I'll have to restart once a week- not that big of a deal, but I was thinking of giving linux a try. all my other comps run XP, and I have never used linux before and have only really heard the hype- is it easy to share files over a network if one computer is using linux and the other is running XP. how long would the up time be before forcing a reset if I were to use linux? I've heard people claiming months :x:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I think the learning curve trying to setup a linux media server would be way too long compared to the benefits of not having to reboot.

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, unless you are really interested in learning Linux, it probably isn't worth changing. It's not as easy as you're probably used to. Samba (this is what you'd use to share files between Linux and XP, most likely) can sometimes be a big pain to set up. As far as uptime, I haven't really kept track of how long my server stays up, because I've heard a few brownouts recently. But usually, it stays up a long time before I need to reboot, which usually only happens when there is a new kernel out.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i recently made the switch (well it isn't done yet) from xp to openbsd/samba but as has been said, the learning curve is steep. i would look into why you have to restart xp. here is a guide to disabling unnecessary services in xp - it might help with your problem if you disable what you don't need:

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp/disableservices.htm

5. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i used to have the same thing. I had a box running Windows 2000 Advanced server and I had 70 some days uptime and then the power went out for longer then my backup could last... maybe you can try that?

6. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Learning new stuff is fun for me usually so I'll give linux a go :hs: any pointers for samba that a n00b could use to avoid time consuming mistakes?

7. col_panic

use the graphical util to configure it. last time i messed with it it was done through a browser. it's pretty easy to use. i just configured the samba.conf by hand because the box has no gui, but i haven't gotten to testing my share yet because it's on an s-ata drive and i am fooling around with getting the kernel to recognize it.

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Bah, get linux. Try it out. Install samba. Spend an hour a day working at it and you will figure it out.

Forgeting a machine is on > rebooting every week :fawk:

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I've honestly never had a problem with samba - and I always configure it manually (graphical tools are for sucks ;) ). Give it a shot. If you have any problems, my AIM name is in my profile & I'll be glad to help out.

10. Brian

Brian New Member

why doesnt some 1 make a linux distro that is just as user friendly as windows xp?

when someone does that every one will switch

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Why doesn't everyone just realize that quality, stability, and power are more important than bells and whistles? When that happens, everyone will switch.

By the way, it IS as user friendly as windows - it's just different. RPM and apt-get are easier to use than setup.exe and control panel for removing programs. And besides, your statement was proved false a decade ago. Apple has always been more user-friendly than Microsofts's offerings, and people didn't switch.

12. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

One thing you should be aware of though in switching to linux. Make sure your hardware is compatible. It's an old saying with linux but it still holds true. Here's a site with good info.
    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/
    It'll also help you better decide what distro to use.

Be careful with linux though, it should take anywhere from a week to a month to get used to but once you do you might like it. A lot.

Oh and it's pretty easy to get about a month of uptime from a linux box.

Now if only my laptop were fully supported. :wtc:

13. Brian

Brian New Member

not true
    yes apple is more userfriendly and more stable than windows xp but guess what apple computers cost alott more and are not as good as x86

so you think that a old person who wants to check their pictures it would be easier in linux:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. col_panic

lindows. corel linux. it doesn't work because people expect it to BE windows. and they try to run wine and samba to do things the windows way, and they find that emulating other operating system features takes more than pointing and clicking.

the point is that linux does the same things as (and a lot more than) windows, it just takes more knowledge because not everyone is familiar with the gui's that run on linux versus windows 9x, 2k and xp

15. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:werd: My debian box wasn't too difficult to set up (I think... it was just over a year ago) Uptime right now is 29 days. Before I moved back from school, it was up for almost 4 months.

Running Samba, Apache, and MySQL.

16. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

give suse 9.1 a try. VERY user friendly and uses YAST2 installer

9.0 is excellent on its own :bigthumb: