Thinking of going to film school.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by sphinx, Jun 17, 2005.

1. sphinx

sphinx New Member

I have been in love with movies ever since i was a little one. Right now I work full time as a computer technician but my heart lies in film. I was wondering if anyone here has been to a film school....if so how was ur experience? Did you get a good job? Do u know of someone who has been? Did they get a good job?

This is a major jump for me, ill have to quit my job more than likely and move back in with my parents, but im only 20 so its not that bad.

2. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

I know 2 people.

One went to Savanah College of Art and Design (SCAD) and majored in Cinematography. The things he can do with programs like photoshop simply amaze me. For quite some time he was finished with school and had no where to go. He filled his time wasting away in South Georgia going from job to job doing nothing with his major. One day he finally got a break and moved to New Jersey and it segway'd him into Hollywood. Now he works on big pictures. I talk to him every now and then to see what big movie he's working on now. Last I talked to him, he was head of a production team.

The other guy is still in school going to some school in Atlanta. He has SO MUCH DEBT it's crazy. Something like $150k already. The films he makes that I've seen are really subpar. Sure they're just for classes, but I don't really see it going anywhere for him unless he gets really lucky.

A third guy I know majored in Computer Engineering and makes good money being the head of the IT team at a power company. He has some really nice near-professional level digital video equipment and he has put together some really good films without even trying. He probably will never do anything with it, but what he does amazes me and he just does it on the side for fun.

As with all forms of art, in my opinion you really need natural talent to get you started. If your natual ability and desire is good enough to get you noticed by a company who is willing to train you further, that is FAR better than spending a lot of your own money learning something that you might never get a chance to use.

Any monkey can hold a camera, that isn't art. It's what you DO with the camera while it's on, and with the film/digital files afterwards that is art. I suggest you start there and see where it takes you.

3. sphinx

sphinx New Member

understood completely and i appreciate the reply, i beleive that im going to stick with my job and what not for now seeing as how i have to pay off my car and insurance. I am going to continue to work on some short films that I've had in my head for sometime now. Thanks again

4. joy division

joy division New Member

My friend, whos father does documentaries for the discovery channel, went to NYU film school for 3 years...dropped out and now works on sets in NYC. He says it was a waste of time for him and its better to get into the biz like this. FYI he would spend weekends and nights editing shit for his dad for as long as I knew him, he has skills and connections...you have to be fantastic to make it in the film industry.