MIL Thinking of going in as a Ranger, looking for anyone with experience...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KillerRobotJews, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Took my official ASVAB a few days ago and got an 80 :wiggle: I'm having a hard time picking an MOS at the moment (Who doesn't) but I'm pretty sure I'd like to go in as Army, most likely aiming for Ranger.

I was curious who on here has been through ranger school and if they could share a little insight as to their overall experience with it. I know it's a pretty broad question to ask, but I hope you can forgive a newcomer :wavey: (And I have read the Faq's, great source of info on entry/basic!)

(IB Ranger-AO)

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Ranger-AO showed up to Ranger school and killed two instructors with his bare hands; they had yelled at him. He was promply graduated and sent on his way. On his way out he killed two students just for looking at him the wrong way.

3. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

:rofl:

Seriously though, when my Marines ask me about going recon I tell them to go for a ruck run and get back to me if they enjoy it.

I can't imagine Rangers are all that different, do you enjoy daily and constant strenuous PT? How is your physical fitness? How much are you running weekly at the moment?

The military won't get you in the shape you need to be in for that kind of goal on it's own.

4. :rofl:

PT was my only concern with this MOS since I could be better. I'm in decent shape as I've been hitting the gym for the last month to get prepped for basic, and I've been focusing on Running (usually 30min to 1hr) followed by lifting. I'm sure I could stand strenuous PT, but not so sure about constant. At least not without hitting the gym for another solid 2-3 months :hs:

My overall goal is to get into some form of specialized infantry, and I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I've also been considering going in as a Marine instead of Army, but that's a whole different debate in itself.

And thanks for the input :wavey:

5. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

Ranger school has nothing to do with being in regiment. And don't go marine.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

just do scouts or whatever the army has for the infantry types....

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:rofl:

I have never been an Army Ranger. :hsughno:

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

why not?

9. willijdub

willijdub New Member

in for name change...
    RC-AO:hsugh:

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

Do you guys have any pioneer types? ie Infantry/combat engineer dudes, i know those guys enjoyed the fuck out of their jobs and miss it sorely

11. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

stop lifting and stick to high reps calisthenics

12. Julius

Julius Guest

aren't you in the 75th?

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I never served in the Ranger Regiment but have worked with several of their officers over the years.

From what I have learned over the years as a casual observer...
    If you are enlisting with the 11x contract, you will most likely goto Infantry OSUT, Airborne, and then RIP (ranger indoctrination program) if you pass then you are sent to one of the Ranger Regimental Battalions. After a certain amount of time in the Battalion, you are sent to Ranger School when everyone (including yourself) are confident that you will pass the school.

Take a look at the linked pdf: https://www.benning.army.mil/75thranger/content/recruiting/RIP for Web.pdf
    it comes directly from their recruiting site. Basically you should be comfortable running up to 5 miles or more at a pace of 6min/mile

Also be aware that basic training usually caters to the middle-lowest common denominator when it comes to PT, expect your entry physical shape to suffer. Once you get to the AIT portion of your training, start running on your own to maintain your higher level of fitness.

Dont get discouraged at being treated like 'joe' and give up on training just to gain a few freedoms in the short term.

Hope this helps

14. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

Go to your recruiter and tell him to give you an airborne contract with option 40 which will get you sent to RIP. If it's even possible anymore get specifically 11b as your MOS cause there's a chance with 11x they'll stick you as a mortar. As long as you have some heart youll get through all the bs of basic and airborne. RIP is a joke nowadays so as long as you don't quit you'll be sent to a batt. That's where RIP really starts cause as a new guy you'll be found out fast if youre a dirtbag or not the type of guy needed and they will find a reason to kick you out. The first impression is key. The more knowledgeable, motivated, and in shape you are the better chance of success you'll have. Aim for a 300 PT test score and you'll be straight.

15. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

just my opinion.

16. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Are you Ranger Qualified or a Qualified Ranger. :hsugh:

second time in as many weeks I had to say this here :o

17. Will do, thanks :wavey:

18. Thanks for the input, thats alot of help. And I'm checking out that .PDF now. I've been speaking with my recruiter focusing on an 11x contract, If I don't pass RIP school will I most likely just end up as infantry?

Thanks for the input, thats alot of help. I've been speaking with my recruiter focusing on an 11x contract, If I don't pass RIP school will I most likely just end up as infantry?

And thanks for the .PDF, almost all the information I could want was in there :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  19. Ranger-AO

I've thought about changing a lot, but everybody knows me by this name, and Fazle really doesn't like changing names for his mods. I think it fucks with his payroll system or something.

:wavey: :wackit: :naughty: :wiggle:

20. How is being a combat engineer? Always thought about that as a possibility in the back of my mind

21. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I know a couple of Rangers, so I will lead the way.

22. Ranger-AO

blowing up shit is awesome. Making shit not blow up isn't as much fun as you would think, though. :coolugh:

23. Jyokker

I know. :joshers:

24. Jyokker

LOL, my uncle was a Ranger, I should lead!

25. :rofl: Thats what I figured. After service It would have alot of usefullness in the civilian world though right?