A&P thinking of going back to school...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by psykosis, Sep 30, 2009.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I'll either be going back to learn web design and get .net and/or php certs, or I'll go back for photography and graphic design. I certainly will enjoy the latter more, but it is the right choice? Is there enough of a market to warrant me going after what I want to do? I like web design and programming too, but I'd rather be doing photography and graphic design. It just seems that the web design would be more useful/employable and probably more profitable.

Any thoughts?

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

too much competition not enough market.

3. psykosis

which one?

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

when i was looking for a job earlier this year, i was offered 2 different web development jobs, one doing php the other doing asp.net. the pay for the better of the 2 was $15/hour. now this was partly the economy, partly the fact that there are a million "web developers" out there now and half of them are just graduating high school and think that $15/hour sounds great compared to the mcjob they had.

5. psykosis

ugh.

$15/hr is not enough to get me to go through certification training for .net or php.

I wonder what the market is for someone with graphical design skills? At least I can use that for my own photos...

6. tetsuo

$15/hour isn't enough to pay for my college education either, graduated with a ba in comp sci. i'm not making a whole lot more than that now, but at least where i am now i have a title that will look good on a resume in a couple years. director of information technology has a nice ring to it :cool:

7. psykosis

I'm the IT manager where I am now, and I have a BA in Management and Organizational Development. Still, even though I'm the "IT Manager", I spend most of my day doing mindless customer service work for about $15/hr.

I want more. And I'm totally unsatisfied in my current position, so going back to school for something I actually enjoy appeals to me. I just need to find out if it makes financial sense.

8. tetsuo

i'm the director of a department of myself. :mamoru: i spend all day doing everything from desktop support to web development to server management

9. psykosis

same. I am the whole department.

But our IT needs are small, so I fill my time with customer service work. I really need a change and either web design or graphic design appeal to me. The graphic design a bit more so.

10. tetsuo

i've been thinking about a change too. i really wish i would've thought about it quicker when my dad passed away, i should've taken his job. :o but by the time i realized i wanted to, my mom already had someone else working it.