Thinking of getting into an online RPG

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Ancoats, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Ancoats

Ancoats New Member

Like Ultima, EQ or WoW.

Whats the best one for a complete newb to RPG's (Only played the FF games) and has the best online interaction?

And what are the game costs per month?

Cheers OT. :cheers:

2. BlingBling

BlingBling Guest

same here... I've been looking at WoW and EQII.

3. Sebulous

Sebulous New Member

I have heard many things. I started off with EQ. It took maybe a month to understand about 80% of MMO's. honestly, find one that has a long free trial and give it a shot. really need a few months to know if its for you.

4. BlingBling

BlingBling Guest

I wonder if I buy WoW and don't like it, if I can return it for a refund...

5. SumAzunGuy

SumAzunGuy New Member

wow is addictive i highly doubt you will sell it :bigthumb:

6. JindaZ

JindaZ New Member

Guild Wars, very easy to get used to, my first online rpg as well

it is also $50 to buy the game with NO monthly fees

7. houz

houz New Member

Good Choice :x:

8. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

wow, without a doubt.

9. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

WoW is the best for beginners and casual gamers. Plus, it's just more fun. I have tryed out EQ2 and it doesn't compare. There are server issues and a few bugs every now and then, but they don't really bother anybody besides the people who play 24/7.
    Guild wars just doesn't do it for me.... the subscription is free, but you get what you pay for.

10. rocforce

rocforce Active Member

11. MowingMex

MowingMex Guest

Lineage 2

12. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

ever.quest.ii

13. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

WoW will be your best arena to sally forth into the world of MMO's.

EQ2 is not newbie friendly at all post level 10. to solo, you HAVE to use your heroic opportunities- which is pretty much dictating the way you fight a battle, as opposed to WoW where your play style and talent build lets you approach battles in the awy *you* want to.

14. Raenor

Raenor New Member

the new biggies out now (wow and eq2) aren't great compared to older mmo's but I'd go the route of world of warcraft if you're going to be a more casual player. Although there isn't really much of a community, wow makes up for it's downfalls with it's overall newb friendly appeal.

15. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

so i've been seeing joe play mxo for a while now... it does rather intrigue me.

16. Apothis

Apothis New Member

GW = teh win

17. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Ultima Online is a great MMO also, that no one has mentioned. It isn't as noob friendly, but has huge communities so there are plenty of people there willing to show you the ropes. Best MMO I've ever played, even though it's old and the graphics aren't nearly as good as WoW or EQ2

18. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

If your talking about pre-patch then yes, otherwise Ultima is horrible. The carebear patch is what fucked the game up, creating Tremmel/Felucca, Ultima made a huge mistake and lost a lot of players to Asherons Call at that time, i would only get into Ultima if your going to play a pre-patch shard like In Por Yelm or something, otherwise your wasting your time.

19. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

If you enjoy the FF series then I would suggest FFXI. It really carries the lineage of previous FF titles well and its a great starter MMORPG.

Other then that WoW is a strong choice as well.

20. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

WoW is the best starter MMORPG.

21. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Obviously... I didn't say it in my last post, but I would't pay for it or play on an official server. There are soooooooooooo many shards for it. Played a few of them. Wicked game!

I wish I still played it, but I intentionally stay away from it. It consumes all my free time when I have it. I play other MMO's but only when I have time to play them, I haven't found any other MMO so addicting.

22. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I know where your coming from, played UO on Baja and Pacific for 3 years, then played Asherons Call for 3 years. I wasted a lot of time for nothing, ever since AC i sworn to never play a MMO again, i just cant control it, i will put everything aside, call in sick for work etc., i get to addicted.

23. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I think WoW is the best choice if you're new, even if you're an MMO vet there is a lot to appreciate about the game. If you make a character on a PvP server, well, it can be a lot more fun than an FPS. Especially since you put a lot of work and etc into your character, makes the experience a lot more personal than most games.

That and the art direction, fast gameplay, and lots of content for every type of gamer makes it a great MMO imo.

EDIT:

I thought I would post abit about why I did or didn't like some of the other MMOs on the market...

EQ2 - For graphics so demanding, could it have been any uglier? All characters essentially look the same, for all the cloth animation systems in it the only hair choices are mostly Lego looking style plast on stuff. Gameplay is horrid, typical shitty MMO faire. Slow gameplay, lots of downtime. Only thing nifty in the game was the voice acting, but is it worth it? No.

AC2 - Bad...the original was far worse though, IMO

DAoC - When it came out it was decent, but essentially Everquest with a nice PvP system. Now it's aged.

SWG - Still a very fun game, but not for people who like their content made up for them. Great for roleplayers and PvPers, the space expansion and PvP space combat is this games saving grace.

Lineage II - A horrible sequel to a horrible Ultima Online ripoff. The dark elves look like little kids playing "Airplane" when they run... :mamoru:

Ultima Online Free Servers - A lot of fun, IMO the UO game engine is still something that hasn't been duplicated so well. Total freedom, lots of interaction with the environment, really awesome what the game was and sad that they never updated the graphics (The 3D stuff was a lame excuse.)

City of Heroes - A nice attempt, fun times for a month or so. Blowback physics and abilities = super cool. Expect to get sick of the city environments and sharing the game world with 11ty billion other superheroes.

Eve Online - By far the most complex economy in an MMO ever. Lots of fun if you want an MMO with minimal time investment (character levels even when you're offline), good PvP, and you have an IQ > 120. The strategy in setting up your ship is nice too. Downs are that mining, or gaurding miners gets really really boring.

Korean MMOs - I'll sum this up nicely... they're all crap.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  24. xX-St.Jimmy-Xx

xX-St.Jimmy-Xx New Member

Runescape... its free!!

25. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I played for about 8 or 10 hours 2 days ago, a friend lent me his account to start a new character, in hopes of gettin me hooked on it. I got to level 9, and I am not feeling the addiction that everyone speaks of. I've got the icon here on my desktop, and I feel much more compelled to play Doom 3 than WoW right now.