A&P thinking of getting a Manager

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

After a couple of misunderstandings ive had, i've come to the realization im not that good at the whole business side of photography, so consulting with someone who is into the music scene quite a bit (he manages bands and events) im considering the idea of having him manage the business side of my photography. I already got a really good impression with our firsts talks, basically the first thing he mentioned was about raising my market value by promoting me in the right channels.

What do you guys think..do other photographers do this type of deal?

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

no we just sell to our family

3. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

Sounds like a good idea, but what kind of misunderstandings have you had? Might be cheaper just to be more open about yours and the client's requirements. Also depends on your target clients: individuals want to talk to you directly, companies and venues probably like the instant availability of a manager.

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

it's funny when someone else does it.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I would only recomend Bobby "The Brain" Heenan of Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart and beware of The Colonel

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

just random small things that get on my nerves..but the second point is definitly the one im after, I don't want to keep doing small jobs that I have people fighting me over a 50 dollar difference, I want to go to bigger clients, shoot less while generating more.. I believe this guy can help me with this.

7. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

for the most part, in the photography world, you don't get a manager, but rather a Rep or an Agent.

If you're really serious about getting a rep, then you definitely want to find someone who actually is in the business of selling photography and photography services. There is a lot of specifics to the photography industry to be known, rather than just trying to "get you a job."

Reps and agents usually take about 25% or more of your fees, so it can be expensive unless you're getting really big jobs.

Also getting a rep usually means that your full time job is photography, not just a "side gig."

And usually reps are pretty hard to get unless you've either been in the business and have already made a name for yourself, or your work is awesome and they can really see the potential to make money.

8. alexromo

alexromo New Member

orly

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

If you're not comfortable with the business side of it, its a great idea getting someone that can help you. Just make sure that person is commited to growing your business and not just add to his peronal benefits and resume.

10. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Meh...i think you should just get better at meeting people.

I think doing the talking with client and discussing stuff is all part of the photography. At the end of the day you gonna be spending hours working with the client so why not spend 30 min to get to know the person so when it comes to shoot they would be comfortable with you.

If the idea of middle man sounds good to you, then go for it. Give it a try.

11. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Ahh i see
    this part worries me a bit, but understanding that Puerto rico has a rather small market and knowing the person who will be working with me it doesn't other me much.

You see this person was the same one that gave me all the jobs with jack daniels, finlandia and a whole bunch of bands, he definitely has some real good connections. I've known him for a few years and my experience has been nothing but excellent

Ohh I agree..what I want is to get better paying and bigger gigs..but having to take less pictures a month and eventually do it full time, I really want that
    thats pretty much the first thing he told me..first step in our plan is to market my name better.

He called me today and is already working on getting me a good gig with a band for the cover of a magazine :big grin: I like that