Thinking of getting a Macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by User_Name, Oct 13, 2006.

1. User_Name

User_Name Your indecision is your...

The Black one. Only upgrade is 1gb of RAM.

Anything I should know or look out for?

ed. Oh, long time PC user. One of my multitude of jobs is PC repair and whatnot. Limited Mac experience.

2. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

The Matte Black Macbook is a fingerprint/grease magnet and you're basically paying extra for it.

I'm waiting to pick up a white one. I've read there have been issues with heat, faulty optical drives that dont eject discs, and some macbooks with shutdown problems. I'm sure these are only a few cases, but I think I can wait a little bit.

3. User_Name

User_Name Your indecision is your...

So I should just do the White one, and just upgrade it to the same specs?

4. scroowielouie

scroowielouie say what?

i had the black macbook with the faulty randdom shutdown problems. I had to send it in to apple and they got it fixed, as far as fingerprints its not so bad, i feel like the white shows more dirt than the blakc does just because of the fact that it is white. If youa re going to get more RAM i suggest not getting it through apple, buy it somewhere else it will save you a ton of money. Apple tends to overcahrge on the RAM they offer.

5. moonie

moonie u want a FRANKYUM?

i wouldn't suggest getting the upgraded macbook simply because it's not worth its price. if you want more memory or space just buy it separately and then change it yourself later. u'll be surprise how easy it is.. not to mention it saves you big bucks.

6. moonie

moonie u want a FRANKYUM?

i thought the white causes more fingerprints because of it's glossy cover.. (which i have)

and i heard the white also encounters discoloration problem due to the heat.. which hasn't happened to me yet but who knows later

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

1) Does doing your own upgrade - ram and hard drive void Apples warranty on the MacBook?
    2) Possibly a stupid question - I have never had a laptop/notebook. Can you put 2 hard drives in it?

I am definetly getting a laptop this Christmas. I am seriously considering a Macbook. My current thoughts are to buy memory and a hard drive through Newegg and as soon as I get it to crack the thing open and do the install.
    I was going to pay for Apples extended warranty, so I am worried that what I am thinking of doing is going to void that warranty.
    Anyone care to talk me out of it?

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Ram: no, there is an access panel and it is fine to upgrade your self.
    Hd: not too sure, might require removing the kbd etc dont know if this will affect your warranty.

You can only install one HD.

Definately get the extended warranty, although the macbook is a great little machine there are a few teething problems.

9. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I am actually getting close to sick of waiting for a revision, for the MBP. so i might get a MB for the time being. thinking about picking one up for simple shit like programming and minor deisgn work.. would it run fine with photoshop and illustrator, with 1gig of ram.

10. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

Illustrator and Photoshop will run like ass on 2gig (what i have) or 512mb.

also, be aware of the cheap plastic used on these macbooks. mine squaks and cracks everytime I pick it up or touch it for that matter. i really am fond of Apple quality control.

11. rpark

rpark New Member

The new MacBooks don't require you to undo a lot to gain access to the Hard Drive. It is accessed using the same panel that hides the ram.

As a matter of fact it slides right out.

12. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

mine squeeks

13. easy4lif

easy4lif New Member

i love my white macbook. upgraded the hell out of it. 120 HD 2 gigs momery

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

get a macbook pro. :eek3:

15. Tvan

Tvan New Member

qft.

Hopefully they will release a Macbook (not pro) without that damned intel integrated graphics chip someday.

Real graphics chip + Merom or better = out with the Powerbook, in with the Macbook.

16. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I've been very happy with my BlackBook.

Yes, the plastic does show some finger prints, so I bought a Sleevz (www.radtech.us) that helps wipe a lot of them off when I put the notebook in it.

Yes, it is "creakier" than my PB G4, but no more so than my HP bought by my employer.

I upgraded both the RAM and the HDD before I ever even booted the machine. Went to the Apple store, bought the BlackBook, stopped at Frys on the way home and bought 2GB RAM and a 120GB HDD. Never booted the computer with the original hardware, installed OSX clean. No complaints, no issues. For the record, I used Patriot memory (usually I use Corsair or Crucial) and a Seagate HDD. I would not consider running a MB with less than 2GB RAM.

To prevent discoloration, I bought a wrist protector from Marware (www.marware.com) for about $15. Nice bit of padding, but also removable. Comes in black and white and I highly recommend it.