Thinking of getting a 99 STS...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ejawodo, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ejawodo

ejawodo New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new here, from Calgary Alberta. I really want a late model camaro or firebird, but it isn't really feasable for me with all the highway driving I do (summer and winter).

Anyways, I have looked at a few Cadillac STS's (99-00) and was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what I should be looking for. I can't beleive what a dream both of these cars were to drive, and they go fairly decent for such a big car.

The one I am really considering has fairly high milage (100 000 miles), but the price reflects that and is immaculate. Does anyone have experience with higher milage northstar engines? Any tips?

Anyways I appreciate any feeback you guys give me. Thanks and wish me luck! :x:

Adam

2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

:rofl: This is OT dawg... we all make over 100k a year and drive brand new vehicles every year, whats up with this over 100,000 mile BS :dunno:

Ok now seriously................. I don't know of any of my friends that have had problems with their Northstars in Caddys or Oldsmobiles that have over 100k on them. I'd be more leary of all the electronics to go bad, but that's just me!

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I had a '99 Concours with zero problems. Very nice and reliable car. Just check the history and condition of the car very carefully.

4. lathrash

lathrash New Member

good choice... i love the way those look. i just wish they were RWD.

as far as the mileage on the northstar, as long as it's been properly maintained and you stay up on maintenance, i think it should be fine. never heard of many problems with those.

5. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

Dont forget we all have 8" Cocks and can fuck for 3.4 hrs on a daily basis

6. whats wrong with a camaro on the highway? I've seen v-6's get 31-35 mpg on the highway. Mine gets 27-29. Just saying...

7. ejawodo

ejawodo New Member

There's nothing wrong with a camaro for highway driving in the summer, but I don't think it would work well with all the snow that the great white north spits out every winter. :down:

But the car I am considering is mint. Only the dealer has ever touched this car, and he has all the service records.

The electrics do worry me though. I heard that this car has 18 onboard computers:eek3:

Thanks guys,

Adam

8. sorry didnt realize you were in the snowy part of the country

just so everyone knows I drove to work tonight with the t-tops out

9. bausp12

bausp12 New Member

get the sts-v

10. ejawodo

ejawodo New Member

I am talking about the older STS (98-04 I believe). The new STS is totally different.

11. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

If it has maintainence records, appears well taken care of, and was the right price I wouldn't think twice. 100k miles isn't really high mileage to me, my daily driver has 210k and still runs like a top.

Also, late model Camaros/Firebirds are actually very good cars on the highway, even LT1/LS1 equipped cars can get high 20's/low 30's MPG on the highway, but if winter is a big concern then the light car + RWD can be a little more trickey on ice, but I've never had a problem with it myself during winters here.

12. itslackers

itslackers New Member

I am from Calgary also, and I noticed there are a ton of STS' for sale in the Auto trader. The northstar is a reliable and smooth engine, I am pretty sure you can find one for a good price with a lot less mileage. You know what the winters can be like here - so I would steer clear of anything with high mileage.

13. ejawodo

ejawodo New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I made an offer on the car, but he didn't want to deal, so the search continues. I am seriously contemplating an F-Body. I think that's what I will end up getting and just drive my Sunbird in the winter.

14. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Go for the F-body. My buddy drives 98 Formula in the winter with winter tires. He doesn't like doing it, but its very manageable. Take into consideration our Manitoban winters are 10x worse than Calgary's...we envy your weather! Even better if you have a dedicated winter car.