Thinking of doing a fiberglass box for my new 10in sub, need some help *pics*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Dec 22, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Alright, I sold my two 12in sony's and I am going with a single 10.
    I have a 2002 Jetta, and I was thinking of doing a custom fiberglass enclosure in the storage compartment (see pic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The space is 11in wide at the widest, and 18in tall, so the demensions should be just right for the 10in sub I am installing.

I am going to reloacate the 12v outlet so that it is installed in the enclosure, and I would also like to be able to take the enclosure out incase I need to access my tail lights. Anyway, I am wondering how the best way is to do this, I have never fiberglassed anything before, and I want to make it look like a factory install..
    What the best way to make the mol?

Also, a .75cu ft box is recomended for a sealed enclosure, does this look close? (carpet can be pulled out obviously)

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You'll need to do a lot of reading on fiberglassing techniques. I don't have any links off hand, but check out places like www.sounddomain.com and do some searches on glassing.

As for volume, do some simple math. (11 in x 18 in x ?? in) / 1728 gives you cubic feet, and keep in mind to subtract for the volume occupied by the sub. So, just find the average depth and find out.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the thing about fiberglassing is u u do a shit ton of layers making sure each layer fits perfectly onto the previous until u get a big thick beefy layer, oh yeah and ur doing this over a cast, then whe ur fiberlgass is thick u buff it out smooth then paint it then remove from el casto put it into place and hope for fit, some cutting may be required

seems like a pain in the ass

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i like how the guy has dreds :mamoru:

ill probably get a bunch of glassing materials and fuck around with it a few times for practice to try and get it down

6. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I've decided to put this off until this summer because I have no where warm enough to do this :o Plus, I need to do more research on it as well. :hs: