Thinking of converting to Ubuntu

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pkr, Feb 2, 2009.

1. pkr

pkr Guest

I have a PC that has winxp and am really wanting to install Ubuntu on it.. I have a unix lab this semester along with a c++ class, so I'm wondering if it'd be wise to partition my hd for the two operating systems.

What do you guys think? Just go all out and do it? Or take some caution and have winxp as a backup.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

You can dual-boot to test things out, and decide whether you want to switch or not then. After that, you just delete one of the OSes after you've made your choice. Well, that's what I would do.

3. pkr

pkr Guest

Ok. Sweet.

I'm also thinking about just building a rig off of newegg once I get fairly familiar with linux for it.

Anyone ever done this?

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I bought one of these and installed Ubuntu on it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233635491&sr=8-1

Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about taking up space on my laptops hard drive. I can even mount my winXP file system and share files between the two drives.

The only issue I've seen is that sometimes it really lags out. I don't mind tho because I like having a isolated Ubuntu install to play with.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Virtual machine.

6. pkr

pkr Guest

Pretty freaking :cool: I may very well do this. Thanks!

7. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I dual boot XP and Ubuntu on my laptop which has a 320gb drive that I got for $70 off of Newegg.
    I recommend dual booting so you don't have to carry around an external drive. Unless you only have a desktop.

8. Coottie

Cool.....good luck.

Before you buy the drive, you might want to check your bios to make sure you have the "Boot from USB" option. If you do, just make it the first option and you should be good.

I have noticed that sometimes when either I reboot or boot for the first time, the computer won't recognize the drive and boot to XP. I don't let the boot complete. I just cycle the power and it always works the next time around.

9. Coottie

Yeah that's another downside to my set up. However, these passport drives are so small it's not that big of an issue.

10. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

try the live cd to make sure everthing works fine with your hardware, but that really shouldn't be a problem

11. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

I made the switch last year. I used the Wubi installer and installed Ubuntu on my WinXP machine to try it out. I liked what I saw and switched. Wubi was a nice way to try out Ubuntu because I didn't need to mess with the partitioning on my drive. It set up dual booting so I didn't need to worry about virtual machines. Plus, if I didn't like Ubuntu, I could uninstall Wubi and my system would be back to its original state with no trace of Ubuntu left on it.

12. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

13. Coottie

hmmm....ultamatix sounds an awful lot like that automatix shit that fubared a previous installation years ago.

Ahh it is a rebirth of automatix:
    Is Automatix Dead?

October 14th, 2008 Is Automatix dead? Yes and no, Automatix is dead no support for hardy based O/S’s, but it has been reborn as Ultamatix.

Sounds like they're still breaking ubuntu:
    Well months in the working as well as Repo adjustments, no it is not dead. This is a peak into to the future, but is nothing in comparison, to what I drop next. The next Ultamatix will utilize Synaptic same as update manger does, what does this mean to you the end users? 0 breakage and if so it is because Ubuntu can’t keep their end of the bargain. I have been under their eyeglass ever since I picked it up & prosecuted for trying to help. Next release will be 100% on their shoulders. Changes? As it sits, admin & mods are testing:

14. Coottie

Oh and I should add that automatix wasn't a distro, it was a program that added many of the most popular programs to ubuntu. Like Flash support for your browser. I can't remember but I think this is either part of the standard ubuntu distro or easily installed via synaptic package manager.

15. Conrad Metcalf

Conrad Metcalf Private Inquisitor

I think you should give Kubuntu a try...The KDE Environment will make it easy for
    you to finally drop win...It will also set up a dual boot system if you want...