thinking of buying a VW

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tsi90, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tsi90

tsi90 _____

I test drove an 02 jetta and gulf this weekend both had the 1.8t engine. I liked both of them a lot and they were a lot quicker than I though they would be. Im looking at an 02 golf with a 2.0 and a 01 gti sometime in the next week.

Im wondering how reliable are these cars? I keep hearing lots of bad things about them but I wonder if those are just problems from neglect. Anything I should look out for when checking these cars out?

2. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

If you get a mk4, get it with either a 1.8t or vr6. Getting a 2.0 will make you want to punch a baby in the face.

Just make sure it has maintenance records, and if it does, make sure they are w/ synthetic oil (for the 1.8t at least). Using regular oil may cause sludging.

I have a 1.8t jetta (01). If you can get 02 or newer, that would be better (you get the awp engine which has 30 more hp stock).

Personally, the only issues I've had with the car were a leaky valve cover (around 45k-50k miles), a bad mass airflow sensor (around 60k miles iirc), and a leaking steering rack (had to replace entire rack.. not cheap). Also a couple tie rods and front strut mounts. But then again, my car is slammed on coilovers so shit like that happens.

The only problem w/ my car right now is that theres a weird click/thunk noise when I stop (at about 10mph) and I when I take off. Not sure if its an axle, ball joint though.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. My car has about 85k miles on it, and I've owned it since 36k miles and 2004.

Good luck w/ your potential purchase

3. Rich

Rich New Member

Please don't do it. VWs are poorly engineered vehicles that are guaranteed to break.

4. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

i had a 2001 Golf with the 1.8T engine. i loved the car but it was a maintanence nightmare. the unfortunate thing is that i bought one that was made in that really bad time when all their cars were breaking. coilpacks, windows falling inside the doors, squeaks.. anything you could think of.

my mother has a New Beetle 2.0 which has had even more problems than my old car did. oil leaks being the major problem.

i have a 2006 Audi A3 2.0T right now which is what the new GTi's and Jettas are powered by. fantastic car with absolutely no problems. a very serious upgrade in terms of reliability, design, and performance. because of this if i were to ever consider a used car, there is no way i'd go back to a VW from that time period. I would strongly suggest you stay away from them. The brand new ones are an entirely different animal that i would suggest.

5. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

if you take care of it you wont have much maitnence problems.

6. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

that sucks. Knock on wood, my 01 hasn't had any failed coilpacks or window regulators. Just the usual rattles and the clink/thunk noise I earlier described (I'm sure it is in someway related to my coilovers)

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well stop it.

8. project15

project15 New Member

I have an 03 GTI (1.8T) with about 65k on it and have had no problems. Bought it used at 40k miles. Love the car. It seems like it's a crap shoot with them though, sometimes they're nice and reliable and other times they're basically a lemon.

9. tsi90

tsi90 _____

wow so ot seems to agree they are crap. I guess thats why they are so easy to find for sale. keep in mind Ive drove nothing but Talons for the last 6 years so I know a lot about bad reliability. Im mostly worried about problems that will leave me stranded somewhere which that coil pack problem would qualify as.

Any other suggestions for cars to buy? Ive got $9k to spend at the most and I want something that is better than 30mpg on the highway and has at enough power to have fun with every so often. The next car on my list is a 2000ish civic si and a mazda protege 5.

10. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

yeah....thatd might be it.

11. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

I own a 99 V6 2.8 Passat. 140k miles, rides and looks great. Transmission went out (under warranty), other than that, no serious problems. Excellent car.
    My Dad owns a 3.2 Eos and it's been fine so far.

My next car could possibly be one of VW's Diesel cars (Tiguan AWD TDI :x:)

If you're looking at a 4 cyl, you should look for oil change records. They should be synthetic oil and changed on time. If not, walk away. There are plenty of VW's out there, take your time and find one that hasn't been neglected.

Carfax whatever you're looking at. Obviously big accidents or cars that have had several problems are not the best choices.

12. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

:werd:

mkiv's had problems, mkv's are a lot better overall in every aspect. mkv gti's and rabbits are also made in germany now instead of mexico, while jettas and gli's are still made in mexico.

13. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

i love mine and :squint: at refred18t i have a 2.0

14. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just messing with ya. But seriously, 1.8t or vr6 > 2.0.

15. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

you have a slow car.

16. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

dont mod it. that will be a bitch. i just spent an hour and a half changing my tires in my garage (had about 2 feet to work), because there is 5in of snow that just came down and its still comming.

17. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

The 1.8t in automatic is super shit on gas.

52L of super gets you MAYBE 400 kms per tank. Fuck that.

(I had an 02 2.0L M5, and now have an 03 TDI M5)

18. deusexaethera

Dude, the coilpack problem doesn't even count. You just keep a spare coilpack in your trunk, that's all.

I could tell you stories about spending $1000 to get shit fixed, only to find $1000 more shit that needs fixing first or else the shit I wanted fixed would just wear out again in no time, but OT has expressed a distaste for further bitching about my Passat. Nonetheless, that is the sort of reliability problem people are really warning you about.

19. BavarianMotorWe

BavarianMotorWe New Member

VW ≤ Audi

only sometimes =

20. saiaba

saiaba Guest

Others have said it, don't buy an mk4 built before 03.

21. deusexaethera

In case this is still a going concern, I recently test-drove an Altima Coupe with the CVT transmission and it was fantastic. I'm literally figuring out how I can afford one.

22. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

those are HIDEOUS

23. deusexaethera

Sure they are. I mean, who the fuck would want to drive this?

[​IMG]

When they could drive this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  24. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

25. saiaba

saiaba Guest

don't get the altima coupe, i can tell you more bad nissan experiences that I have had than bad vw experiences.

At least vw has free roadside towing!