Thinking Of Buying a Mr2

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sito, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

This guy is selling a MR2 near my area, wonder if I should pick it up.
    Here's what the guy said.

This is a beautiful 1991 naturally aspirated 5-sd Toyota MR2 for sale in this auction. Perfect for summer. With only 108K easy miles, car is very well maintained. This is a true classic collector’s car. Rare and hard to find. I have owned and driven other sports cars, but none compared to this one, not even close. It handles like a dream and the power band is amazing. It’s sporty and very reliable. Drive around corners without hesitation. Without a doubt, this is the best car I have ever driven and owned. Because of the Ferrari – Like design, this beauty turns heads everywhere I go. Mid-engine rear wheel drive. The car only has 108K miles, probably one of the lowest and nicest MR2 you will ever find. Car is completely bone stock WITHOUT any modifications, everything if factory settings. All parts and services were done at the Toyota dealership. Toyotas Truly last forever, ask anyone who owns one. This car is great on gas, has a 13 gallon gas tank, I get about 330-340 miles on a full tank. I use this car as a daily commute to work, mostly highway. I am expecting a baby in a few months, so need to upgrade to a bigger vehicle. I am sad about selling this car, but happy that being a father soon.

With the gas prices sky rocketing, this is the perfect car for school, work, or just for the enjoyment of driving a true sports car.
    Vehicle Condition

Exterior: The outside of the car is excellent shape for its year. The paint is smooth and glossy. Color is Metallic Green. There are no fading anywhere on the car. Just a few minor scratches, which can be buffed out. Front bumper has some stone chips, I touched it up with matching touch-up paint so now its un-noticeable. One small light ding on the door. There are no dents, and NO RUST. You will be highly impressed that this is a 1991. The car is mostly garaged; I wash, and wax it often.

Interior: The inside of the car show minimum wear. NO RIPS OR TEARS. The dash is perfect. The declinable seats are perfect. The rugs are clean. The interior really looks like new. All the electronics works great. It has a stock radio, cassette, and CD player. AC is ice cold, and heat works excellent. The speakers were replaced with high performance Pioneer speakers, although the sound system is stock, it sounds great! Has manual sunroof. The ash tray has a little crack, which can be replaced with a new one for about $20.

Engine/mechanical/electrical: The engine feels very strong and healthy. Never raced or abused. I use full synthetic engine oil. The battery was just replaced with a brand new one about a month ago. Full tune up a month ago at Toyota dealership, they replaced Cap, rotor, platinum Toyota spark plugs, and Toyota premium spark plug wires, air filter. At the same time, transmission oil flushed and filled. The check engine service light came on, so had the O2 sensor replaced with a brand new one at Toyota. Clutch and timing belt was replaced at 90K miles by previous owner. The clutch grips very nice. All four tires have been replaced 400 miles ago with four season tires, 99% thread left. Alloy wheels. Breaks work great. E-brake works great. Exhaust system looks in good condition (duel exhaust tips). The suspension is like new, rides so very smooth on any condition, shocks, struts, and springs are great condition. No oil leaks. All lights and signals works. The car starts up flawlessly.

Power Options: power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise control, tilt steering wheel, defroster, AC & heat works excellent. 6 speaker sounds system with radio cassette and CD. Alarm system with keyless entry.

Car doesn’t have power steering, which I do like better because I can feel the road and handling.

The defects: The 2nd gear on the transmission has a lightly worn syncro which sometimes grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd right away. This never bothered me because I delay the shifting from 1st to 2nd for 2 seconds and it doesn’t grind at all. This is a known easy to fix problem on the MR2s. So with a 2 second shifting delay, all gears are smooth.

Thats his description,
    I had a question about it though, he says the 1991 mr2 DOESNT have power steering, is this correct? Also the gear thing, and just wondering about any tips or hints looking at Mr2's other than being normal purchasing old car stuff.
    Thanks

2. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

Lots of MR2's don't have power steering, but usually only non-turbo cars (like this one).

This would be a 1st-gen MR2, though right? If you wanted power steering you might be able to adapt it. The 2nd-gen cars had electric power steering that would easily swap into cars that didn't have it. But I would agree with him, I like it better without. :)

Toyotas do last a long time, so mainly just look for the typical older car stuff. And remember that anything engine related will be harder to do (or more expensive if you have someone else do it), thanks to the somewhat tight engine bay.

3. solid snake

solid snake New Member

actually, I believe that 1991 was the first year of the SW20 MR-2. OK, checked, it is. Here's a MK2 Buyer's Guide I grabbed from somebody else's site (It played some horrible midi file that drove me nuts).
    http://www.alluvium.com/~cecil/mr2guide.html
    of course, I'd advise reading up at mr2oc.com and the other MR2 sites.
    I forgot what engine goes into the NA 2nd gen?

4. solid snake

solid snake New Member

"Thinking of Buying an MR2"

5. Meekrob

Meekrob ANI-MAHRU !!!

Although he claims it handles great, I was under the impression that the SW20's major fault was its chasis. Reveiws I remember reading complained of body roll and less than ideal suspension. And although its a Toyota, any work to be performed on this car will be pricey due to the mid-engine location. But they do look tight, and are probably a blast to drive.

6. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

IIRC, most of them has the 5S-FE 2.2L engine. Some later models had a slightly different 2.0L engine.

NA 1st-gens got the crazy high-winding 4A-GE. :bigthumb:

7. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

I would have to disagree. Mine, with stock suspension and stock sized tires, would still out-handle almost any stock car and several modified ones. Body roll didn't seem to be excessive, either. Go to the autocross and see how many MR2s dominate their class. ;)

There's one here that has several TTOD trophies. Of course, he has a Camry V6 stuffed into it... and a TRD blower... :bowdown:

8. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

Man these cars are so sexy... I wish I had never sold mine...

[​IMG]

9. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

I'm going to see it monday. I want itttttt :drool:
    and you SURE about the 4a-ge in there? there are dash pics and redline is 6 1/4??
    Btw thanks for all the help and yes i am thinking of buying AN Mr2

10. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

4A-GE is in the 1st-gen only!

Early 2nd-gens will most likely have a 5S-FE. :bigthumb:

11. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

definately a 5SFE if it's a MKII NA

12. tofarout

tofarout Guest

Check out www.mr2oc.com more info there than you could ever need!