Thinking of buying a bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BIGsteev, Feb 25, 2008.

1. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle for next year. I've wanted one for a while, and now if I get one it would be a good gas/money saver because I can just ride it to campus every morning. Basically I would just use it to get around town, no long distance or anything like that, so I was wondering what type of bike would be right to get. I'd like to keep it relatively cheap. I like the look of sport bikes the most, but am open to suggestions. Any suggestions or recommendations? Tell me what you guys think.

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

first bike?
    just around town?
    sportbike?

Ninja 250

If you don't care about a sportbike then a decent enduro would work even better. You don't need horsepower out the ass and you don't need a literbike if you are serious about just around town.
    I rode a Yamaha XT250 enduro when I was in college and it was perfect. You can find enduros and Ninja250s used for pretty damn cheap prices.

3. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

Yeah the ninja was one that I had in mind. Also, what about gear? recommendations? Do you know of any sites/stores that have good deals and all that stuff? Another thing about gear: is it a big deal carrying your jacket/helmet and all that around everywhere? That's one of the things that sorta makes me hesitate.

And also (I have lots of questions) I've heard that insurance is pretty cheap, and since my parents probably won't support me buying a motorcycle (my mom will be pretty angry) I will have to pay it myself. Exactly how expensive is it?

4. i64X

i64X New Member

Insurance is super cheap on a Ninja 250. All insurance companies are different, but it really depends on your age and the size of the bike. More cc's = more expensive insurance. The younger you are = more expensive insurance. I've had friends under 23 try to get quoted for things like ZX-10R's (which they didn't need AT ALL) and have heard of insurance companies either saying flat out "we're not going to insure you on that" or giving them quotes that are so insanely high because they KNOW the guys aren't going to pay that ($4K / 6 mos, etc).

I can only really give examples of insurance I've had. Keep in mind you get an insurance break when you turn 23 and the big one is when you turn 25 (if your record is clean).

My first bike was a '75 Honda CB750 Super Sport. I was 23 at the time and insurance was around $80/mo. That was the minimum amount required in Michigan and didn't cover me (because my health insurance does) or the bike if something were to happen. My next bike was a Suzuki Burgman 400 - technically a scooter, but MI law defines it as a motorcycle cuz it's over 50ccs. That was around $65/mo before I turned 25, and went down to $28/mo after I turned 25. That was for full coverage on the bike w/ a $500 deductible.

My current bike is an 07 Yamaha FJR1300A. For that, insurance went up to around $46/mo with all of the same coverages as the Burgman.

As long as you have a clean driving record and are 25, bike insurance SHOULD be pretty cheap. A lot of it depends on the insurance company too. Look around for quotes... some insurance companies are motorcycle friendly, and some aren't. I have State Farm and they seem to be VERY reasonable.

Good luck.

5. i64X

i64X New Member

OH - Ninja 250R would be a great starter bike. You can pick one up for around $4000 OTD brand new, they get killer MPGs, insurance is cheap, and they were just redesigned for 08 and actually look really good now... MUCH better than the old ones. I was checking one out this weekend at a dealer - my brother is thinking of picking one up for his girlfriend - and the build quality seems a lot better than the older ones as well.

6. squid

squid braap

You won't be saving much if any money on a motorcycle vs. a cheap car. Maintenance is more of a big deal and wear parts wear out faster (tires ~8k, chain & sprockets, oil changes every ~2500 or so, plus regular fluids). Plus you have to buy a whole set of gear.

7. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

Well the point is that I will be saving, plus I think that riding a motorcycle would probably be more fun than driving a car. On top of that, a parking pass for two semesters will cost $287, whereas I can just put a motorcycle in one of the many motorcycle spots.
    8k for tires? the bike i'm looking at getting is only 3499 retail... is it really that much? Plus the fuel efficiency would be much better for a bike than for an 04 explorer (which I would be driving otherwise)

8. i64X

i64X New Member

Regarding the tires, it really depends on which tires you get. "Sport" tires are super soft, so they wear out really fast. My brother was shopping for tires last year for his CBR, and the dealership offered him (for whatever reason) a 500 mile "super soft" race tire as one of his options. I don't know what the standard life is on a set of stock Ninja 250 tires, but I'm sure when it came time to replace them you could get ones that lasted longer than the stockers.

9. squid

squid braap

sport tires run 2-5k depending on how you ride on them (excepting trackdays)

touring tires maybe 6-11k depending on how you treat them

you'd probably save some dosh over an Explorer what with gas prices the way they are, but over a car it'd be pretty close. insurance is pretty expensive too, be sure to factor that in there.

10. i64X

i64X New Member

Plus gear gets kind of expensive too. I just spent a couple hundred on a helmet and a couple hundred on a jacket - and I that was just the run of the mill average quality stuff.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

an ok Z1R helmet will run you about $100
    you can find a decent jacket for about the same.

insurance all depends on your record but if it's clean and the bike's a 2nd vehicle AND you buy something used with cash instead of financing you can get insurance dirt cheap.

You don't need the most expensive helmet/jacket/gloves and you don't need a new bike. Just looked on Craigslist for my area and found a ninja 250 for 700 bucks, 4 different enduros (250-400cc) from 500-3000 bucks.

12. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I think I will try and buy nice enough gear, but I really don't need anything flashy. As far as expenses are concerned, it's either the explorer or a (most likely used) bike, because I don't have the money to buy a car, so that's not really an option (plus I have been wanting a bike for a while now). As for used bikes: do you guys recommend a certain time period for each bike? Like early 90s, 2002, etc.

13. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

My 2 year old Blast was 3 grand, insurance is like $40 and it gets 70mpg. I got a good helmet for $140 & what I think is a decent jacket for $150. It saved me quite a bit in gas over last summer and that's compared to my Subie. Plus it's actually fun to ride, win win.

14. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

ok, new question about insurance: I've heard a couple of times now that part of the reason insurance is cheap is because you are required by law to have life insurance as well. Can someone tell me if there's any truth to that? I'm mainly concerned with north Carolina and Virginia, but if you guys know anything about where you live, let me know, Im curious

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

no, it's not true.
    It's usually cheap because you get a discount if you have a car through the company as your primary transportation.
    call Geico and Progressive and get a quote.

16. squid

squid braap

That's a good idea. The Ninja 250 has the "ninja" stigma and probably higher theft rates being a Kawasaki, the Buell gets lumped in with the Harleys and so would probably be a ton cheaper to insure and maintain as well, what with belt drive and the lower rev limit and all.

17. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

not required in CA. it's cheap for me because I can't do that much damage if I hit someone.