Thinking of building a hackintosh...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

For those against hackintosh's... please do your self a favor and hit the back button.

Anyways, Im looking at replacing my aging powermac g5 dp2ghz with a hackintosh. I know im going to go the EFI-X route, as it just seems to be easier overall, and i like the interface it adds. Anyways its gonna be a cheap build but not too drastic and going to use the G5s case and gut it and keep it and my current cinema display, to keep the feel of an apple computer.

Any real downsides to doing this, possible future limits? Ive played with running OSX on a pc with my g/fs laptop and its been a pita due to driver conflicts.... hence why im gonna go efix and follow their hardware recommendations

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Seems like a huge pain in the ass. No knowing what will happen when Snow Leopard or any other update comes out either. Seems like most people always have something that's not working quite right.

3. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

thats kinda whats holding me back right now.... we'll see. the g5 is still chugging along anyways.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

hitting the back button...

5. assclown

assclown Active Member

6. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

efi-x seems to work well... im just wondering how future proof it is mainly. i know i can always throw windows on if my machine becomes useless... but thats not my hopes. i would like a machine that will atleast make it to 10.7 or 10.8 theoretically.... the g5 will not do that. kinda disappointed it wont eve make 10.6 from the sounds of it.

This is a secondary machine BTW, so its not a huge deal... more of a project to me. I have a macbook as my "primary" machine, though i use it alot less lately.

7. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

DOT.

my buddy did this, the shit you have to really hack (as in not just install some premade patch from the internet) is retarded. it took him like a day to get his second monitor working.

other than weird little quirks he has a pretty sick machine for much less than a mac pro. its just a core duo, so obviously not directly comparable to a pro, but sick machine, not much money.

8. pdL

pdL OT Supporter

This requires original OSX and Vista DVDs?

9. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Just buy a Mac Pro. You'll be a lot happier.

10. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

I would like to... but the price difference is outstanding. i can build a comparable performance machine for 1k, the macpro will be 2500-3k.