Thinking ahead... Bulking

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by armond, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armond

armond New Member

Simple post here. I am looking ahead to around November-December to start bulking up. I took my time to do so because I wanted to make sure I was where I wanted to be in terms of being comfortable doing exercises on my weak ass ankle. Now I have come to that point.

I am trying to decide if I should just increase my caloric intake by about 200 every week for 2 months or until I reach around 3800-4000 calories, whichever occurs first. I just know I want to gain some weight, I am not looking at a specific number, I just want more. BTW I only weigh approximately 160 lbs., thus the want to bulk up. Afterall winter will be coming along shortly.

I do not plan to drop the cardio that I do, seeing as I am helping my ankle. I have felt nothing but better since taking up running with my ankle, so I see no reason to drop it.

I currently eat around 2000-2200 calories daily, all good shit. I do have my cheat days to keep me motivated. :hsd:

Does anyone have any clue if a slow and steady increase in calories(good ones) is better for you than a quick and massive amount of calories? About how long should one bulk? I was thinking that after reaching the highest point of caloric intake I would maintain that amount for 3 months. Then I would decrease the same way I increased, reducing the amount of calories by 200 every week or so. Does this seem sound?

Thanks in advance for any answers/help.

2. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

Dude, just do it like you're saying you want to now, you seem to have it all planned out and nothing wrong with trying something different to see how your body reacts. I want to know too.

3. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

increase calories by 300 or so ever week until you begin gaining weight at 1-2 pounds per week. there is no set time frame on bulking. you should bulk until you no longer feel comfortable with your own body. for people who dont give a shit they bulk year round

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

That sounds like you've got it planned out nicely. I'm just playing with my calories also to see how I react to increased calories and heavy weights; theres only one way to find out.

5. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

It'll be easier for you to eat more food if you slowly ramp up the calories. I jump right into to bulking, so it takes me a little while to get my appetite back

6. armond

armond New Member

Well I am going with the ramp, as Klown so put it. Seems like a decent plan. Maybe 300 cals will be a better number as well, that way I reach the peak in only 2 months instead of around 3 months...

basically I will increase the portions of my main meals. Then I will go to increasing the portions of my snacks/inbetween feedings.

I should probably keep a journal of this, or create one in the training log sections. Although I have a tendency not to wander in here EVERYday, only often. We shall see.

Thanks for the help ppl, now to wait till it gets colder to start!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.