Thinking about which car to buy.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by OzzieChan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

howdy

well basically my friend imports JDM cars. and I get a great deal on them, basically I'm trying to figure out what I want to pick up, I used to be a big DSM guy, and would go that route again but I need something a little more reliable right now. (that hurt to even say)

anyways I'll post pics of some of the choices, but the main thing I was wondering is about the FD, how reliable are they? because you always hear about the Apex seals and such. wear as I know the GTR and the Toyota are going to be pretty bullet proof.

anyways....

twin turbo 1JZ soarer.... I've drove a few for him and I like how they feel, good amount of power but still a pretty comfy car.

[​IMG]

ofcourse the Skyline GTR get a lot of hype but worth it. plus a lot of times he can get them with mods, usually they come with atleast a 3 " exhaust etc. But a GTR is gonna cost a little bit more too.
    [​IMG]

Here's the FD I can't help but love it since it's pure sex, a little cheaper then the skyline, but again I'm wondering about reliability, this one has 95,000KM whatever that works out to in miles.

[​IMG]

some other cheaper options would be 300ZX's or some nice 180sx's (240sx in Northamerica) with SR20 turbo engines, both are very nice to drive.

discuss.

2. silent_ninja_8

silent_ninja_8 New Member

I love my FD, but yeah it is a completely different animal in itself. Don't expect the engine to last near as long as a piston (about 80K before having to rebuild). The rotary and car itself is amazing, but takes a ton of maintenance and has lots of little qwerks to it. In the end I wouldn't have anything else than my FD, but just research it and ask around before you get one. They require a ton of attention. But when they are in good running condition they are extremely powerful.

3. Lexus..nothing like going fast in luxury.

4. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

soarer

5. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

yeah thats exactly what I'm worried about, I don't want a project car right now is the thing. I spent too long with the talon always dumping money into it for fixes instead of mods.
    Right now I just want something reliable that I can put some more money into mods and not have to worry about it all the time.

Anyways yeah the Soarer is really nice I was really impressed with the ones I've drove, plus it's way cheaper than both the GTR and the FD, I'll have to give that particular one a drive or something.

6. silent_ninja_8

silent_ninja_8 New Member

yeah then I wouldn't recommend the FD, its reliable to an extent. but like I said always needs attention and care. I love the rotary community though, they help each other out like one big family. Anyways can't really speak for the other two cars since I haven't owned them. Just thought I would give some info on the FD.

7. E-dub

E-dub New Member

They have legit TT 1jz LHD Soarers in Canada?

8. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

this will never happen.

9. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

Soarer. 1jay-z rox.

10. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

website's www.tyeeimports.com my buddy that owns it's name is grant, my name is thomas, call him up faggot. I'll be sending him the first deposit in the next few days.

11. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

so what are you getting, their all awesome cars in their own.

12. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

I talked to him tonight, I'm in alberta and the cars are in BC, and since I wanna pay cash I'm gonna wait til about the end of august, then head over there and drive the car back. so I told him if he has a good deal he can give me on a GTR by then I'll get that, if not I'll go for the soarer I'm thinking.

13. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

looks like a GTR, waaaaay too nice of a deal to pass up, probably will need to import it though depending on stock.
    wait about 2 months for penny pics cause I already emailed him a couple of grand tonight haha

14. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

GTR hands down. Next I'd take a 300ZX over the Soarer and rx...

15. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

yep money already down on the GTR, gonna try and sweet talk him into the one with the T88 single turbo conversion :x:

16. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

good choice man, good luck.

17. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

ack, i feel like a fagmo. you're in canada. im in america. thus your situation is much easier. well good luck:cool:

18. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

alright I take it back you're not a faggot haha, I have a lot of research to do, I'm takin a step up from the ol' DSM.

19. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

get the sc

20. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

settled on the GTR now, I love the soarers and they're powerful, but the GTR kills it in performance, plus the AWD will be nice since it snows here in the winter, even though it's 39 fuckin degrees out right now :greddy:

21. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

excellent choice. i'm jealous for sure.

22. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

how longs the process gonna take?

23. OzzieChan

OzzieChan Boom Bap

Well he has some cars in stock, but most likely I'll just get him to broker one for me, basically I'm paying for the car now, I'm just sending him a couple of grand out of each paycheque every 2 weeks.
    It's a buddy of mine like i said though so we'll be able to skip some of the formalities. My guess is about 3 to 4 months, or earlier if he lets me have the car before I fully pay it, or I make a little bigger payments. I have done him some favours such as drive these cars back and fourth when I was still living in B.C. so we'll see haha.

24. Supra Turbo dude, no question.

25. foznice

foznice New Member

congrats dude, I would take the GTR too, becuase I love them (as I think I posted somewhere else here). Anyway, keep in mind that they the old 32's might not be as reliable as you expect. The RB's are definatly a strong engine but some of the old 26's from the 32's are sometimes a little tired out. Thats not to say that they're all bad, but if you haven't put down the money at this stage then I reccomend you have it mechanically inspected (compression tested ect) in Japan (which can be done).

You wouldn't want to spend all this money on your car to have to rebuild the engine straight away. If possible, and this will probably be difficult, try to find a low mileage one with service records (if you don't want to have a mech inspection). If I was going to import a 32GTR with a budget for a 'cheaper' one then I would save a little more and get one with an auction grade of 4 or 4.5 with the service records ect.

Either that or I'd wait for something REALLY cheap to come up with a blown engine or something, and then rebuild and respray ect ect..

Good luck with it.