Thinking about upgrading the Home theatre in a box

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AMGpower, Nov 3, 2007.

1. AMGpower

AMGpower OT Supporter

Well a while back we got a panasonic HT in a box, and i want to upgrade it. Should I post pics and or specs of it so you can understand because i honestly don't know anything about audio. Onto what I want to know..

I want to upgrade it slowly and steadily and the first thing I want to do is upgrade the subwoofer. The one that came with it is crap and I need something with a little more oompfh. What will I need to do to upgrade only the sub but keep the other speakers working well? I'll post pictures when i get home to show you what I have...

2. AMGpower

AMGpower OT Supporter

3. Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins New Member

if the sub is connected through your "receiver" through 1 rca plug (known as LFE) to your sub, then any after market sub will work

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If it's a htib then it probably connects the subwoofer to the cd changer/receiver through standard speaker wire. Powered subwoofers connect through an lfe input as stated above. However, some also have speaker level inputs where you run your right and left speaker wires from the receiver to the subwoofer and then to the right and left speakers.

Realistically, the sub you get will be over-powering compared to the speakers that came with the system. Also, you can't really upgrade the speakers to anything decent without upgrading the original receiver. So I'd just save money and pick up all new stuff.

5. AMGpower

AMGpower OT Supporter

hmm damn. Can something decent be picked up for 1000? Or what is a decent amount to spend on it? I am no audiophile of course but just want something better.

6. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

for someone like you who wants "great" sound at about $1000, and doesn't know much about highend audio, this is the perfect and best deal you will ever get:

http://www.av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=24756

2 pairs of X-ls
    1 x-cl center
    1 X-sub
    and you get a nice receiver and DVD player....all for $999

7. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Werd to your fawking mother, you're retarded if you pass on this.

8. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

That's a great deal. Might as well go for the X-sls for another $50 since decent stands will cost at least that much.