thinking about turbo on my 2.0

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dew, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dew

dew Banned

2. neotango

neotango New Member

I wouldn't do it for the same reason I wouldn't turbo a Civic. I know this sounds like a typical canned-from-OT response, but why spend $3500 (Turbo Kit) + endless hours by you or expensive hours ($1000+) by an installer to give your economy car about 200hp in an age today where you can get an Accord/Camry/Altima/*.boring-family-sedan which come stock with 230-260hp, sport suspensions, and a stiffer chassis than yesteryears Porsches? I'm not saying go out and buy a family sedan, I'm just saying I would save the $3500-$5000 that you'd spend on this kit+install to be put towards a new purchase later of a car more fitting to your sporting desires (e.g Golf GTI or Golf R32). In the meantime, enjoy your Golf for what it was made for: great fuel efficiency, easy to park, better interior than competing cars of same price, great storage/trunk/hatch, etc.

Just my two cents! Good luck on whichever route your choose. :bigthumb:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The man's got a point about the mpg. Anything that boosts the HP of your engine will cut down the mileage. At $3 a gallon, now isn't the best time to tweak your car for speed.

Also, it's better to boost a car that already has a turbo on it. The hardware is already installed, and the engine is already strong enough to handle the extra power. All you need is a mod chip, miscellaneous small bits, and possibly a better exhaust to handle the increased airflow.

If your car is still worth something and you simply must have a turbo, I'd seriously consider spending that money you've got to trade in your Golf for a used Jetta or GTI with a 1.8t engine. Or hell, even a Passat would be nice; that's what I drive, and I get 32mpg on a good day.

4. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

QFT

5. Live4USMC

Live4USMC New Member

Ya not such a good idea, sell the golf, and use the money to put mods on a gti 1.8t

6. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I agree with these guys.. If you want a turbo bad enough, trade in on a GTI or 1.8T Jetta. Way more potential.

7. neotango

neotango New Member

Edited: My bad, keleko gave me shit for this. :hs:

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  8. dew

dew Banned

ok i sell the golf and get $5-7 grand so i need $10 more grand to get an ok gti :ugh: ill just get the atp turbo.

9. DuncMan

DuncMan New Member

IMO, its not worth it, you can only get a certian amout of HP out of an 2.0. i say save your money sell the 2.0 and get a 1.8t or VR6. i have a VR and i love it, sounds like pure sux when i get on the gas, with the stage 2 EIP you can get 300hp no problem

10. koretex

koretex *insert something clever here*

You can get 1.8T GTIs all day long for $10-12k. I am from the vdub world and Im sorry but if you turbo the 2.slow you are an idiot plain and simple. Oh and btw have fun rebuilding that engine when you bend a rod :rolleyes:

11. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

because a golf is a fairly light car and a light car with 200 + WHP can be something to contend with.

Now why wouldnt I do it to this car... because the 1.8T is a way better platform to work with without a complete rebuild of the bottom end.

12. dew

dew Banned

thats all i want fow now 200hp the kit is like $2,100 and im going to get custom intercooler and exhaust made. When it breaks oh well ill strip all of the turbo stuff and goodies off and trash the car and get a new car :dunno: turbo parts are always useful or i can just sell them lol

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  13. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:mamoru:

stupid noobs...

14. keleko

keleko yes, he is

and all the points here apply to what i think, well thought, i wanted to do to mine

so, i won't be turbo-ing my 3
    header, exhaust, ecu (if they ever get it done), already have a cai, lsd (and upgrade tq. conv. + valve bodies) - and call it done

15. dew

dew Banned

im just so bored with this slow pos :rofl:

16. neotango

neotango New Member

Sorry for having a life and thus not being able to amass 8,000 posts like you.
    :mamoru:

17. neotango

neotango New Member

True, but there's also a lot more to a how a car performs than just its a weight. You cannot forget about things such as the chassis stiffness, the suspension design, the steering ratio and feel, the transmission, the clutch, the tires, the center of gravity, the weight balance, and the brakes. Sometimes its not worth trying to make a 'sporty' car out of a car where some or all of the aforementioned items are not up to par with the typical requirements of a 'sporty' car. Even if the 2.0 becomes extremely powerful post-T/C, many of the other components (eg. suspension, weight balance, brakes, tires, steering, clutch, transmission) might still be lacking thus creating a very unbalanced experience. There's a reason most of these components are upgraded in a GTI or R32 trim line.

18. dew

dew Banned

im getting a gt28r :noes:

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

People who buff tiny cars don't give a damn about anything but forward acceleration. Save your typing. My Passat 1.8t, on the other hand, is a worthy platform for enhancement. I just need to make my peace with the money it's gonna cost.

20. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

Yeah then we can strip the back seats.:hsd:

21. dew

dew Banned

and the a/c, radio, carpet, and etc :bowdown:

22. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

Airbags, dash, glove box, and all the material lining on the doors/roof:rofl:

23. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Swap a VR in. Then S/C the VR... or turbo it even.