MMA Thinking about training Krav Maga

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Oct 24, 2007.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

If any of you remember my earlier threads, my boxing training took a big turn south, so I ended up breaking the contract. Fuck doing situps with fat chicks! A friend of mine turned me onto Krav Maga, and from his demonstration, videos online, and literature I've read, it seems very bad ass. There's a school offering it nearby my house as well, so I think I'm gonna try it out. I understand that some schools aren't considered, "Legitimate," Krav Maga institutions, but Karate America is listed on kravmaga.com. I dunno how much weight that holds, but they have to know something about the technique, right? I figure it's $15 a class, so I'll try a few out and see if I enjoy it. What are your guys opinions on Krav Maga? Anybody actually trained at the Karate America in Clearwater?

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

after watching a little about it on the human weapon it seems more practical than i thought it was.

3. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

the karate america schools are owned by "chief master clark" who bought up the andy silva ATA affiliated schools down here after he died.

sadly, they're taking the TKD mcdojo way of doing testing and shit and applying it to krav maga. the level of instruction down here is decent BUT they're operating within the karate america framework now and that SUCKS GIANT DONKEY DICKS. only reason why i haven't had to follow along with their shit is the instructor knows that I know how shit's really supposed to go since i've been there for so long.

the system, when taught in a good school is great. hopefully the instructors in clearwater are decent. (i don't know any of them, but i know most of them in the broward area.) if you can deal with typical mcdojo style shit as far as pushing for skill specific testing every few months, go for it. (think of it as the million different belts/stripes that tkd schools have. they're supposed to be an incentive but they're really a reason to nail you for $35 a pop)

4. TigreTek

krav, when taught in a good program is a very useful, no BS self defense system. i prefer to think of good krav maga as MMA lite. the standup is mostly MT based (a good thing) and the ground work is basically a very watered down version of BJJ (can be good or bad, depending on your instructor's knowledge level).

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Do you spar at 100% or at least 80% contact in krav maga? i have not really researched the style, so i cannot comment on it. However i find in styles where its not full contact, iss A) not as good intense so its not as good for your fitness and B) Not as effective as a fighting martial art.

if you see UFC or some old Pride, you can see that the the styles that are used, are styles that can be practised at 100% resistance during training. im not sure if krav maga incorporates this.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

dude there are some great bjj/mma schools in clearwater/st pete area. i've posted links in your last thread. check them out before you waste your money on krav maga

7. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Krav Maga has a different goal than MMA.

MMA is for athletes who want to become experts in sport fighting.
    Krav Maga is for people who want to become better in self defense situations.

If you want to be a fighter, Krav Maga is not your best bet. If you're in it for self defense, you should give Krav Maga some careful consideration.

8. TigreTek

couldn't have said it any better.

9. TigreTek

:ugh:

10. TigreTek

depending on the school, i'd say 50-75%. yes.

11. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

The place I dabbled at had sparring at intensity, with some decent guys.

12. FrankieSixxxgun

Why do you guys always suggest MMA when I ask a question? Get off Gracie's nuts! Sure, Krav Maga a complete 180 from boxing, but hey, I don't think it would've been possible for me to enjoy my boxing training any less, so I might need to pull an exact 180. :rofl:

I might slide by the McDojo for my free class and a large fries. It's so insanely close to where I live that I owe it to myself to check it out, and from what he told me on the phone, doesn't sound like I need to sign a contract, so I can bail whenever. Plus, the videos on completemartialarts.com of Krav Maga looked bad ass. I wanna be able to beat somebody to death with their own gun!

For those of you touting the fitness aspect, save it. I'm not joining for the workout, I'm joining for the training. I'm already in decent shape. This was the biggest problem with my boxing training. It was all working out, no fight training.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

From what I've read, sparring in Krav Maga specifically relies on you not hurting your sparring partner. It's one of the key points of the technique. Granted I read this on wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

14. FrankieSixxxgun

Hey, thanks for a legitimate response. I'll let you know how the school over here is when I slide by. It'll either be tomorrow night or on Monday.

15. TigreTek

good stuff. hit me up via pm if you want to know anything else.

16. natasha

natasha Active Member

I hate the Krav Maga vs. MMA thing. MMA is NOT fighting. In MMA you know that someone will stop the fight before you get killed. Krav Maga is 100% no bullshit COMBAT, not defense.
    I have been taking Krav for about 5 years and I was a level 1-2 instructor. A lot of these guys are correct about the some of the watered down parts. You practice BJJ, MT, and other forms in case you are attacked with it. The strikes are mainly MT based, but we don't spend lots of time rolling because you don't want to start throwing submissions on the street.
    If you have a recognized Krav school you should be ok because all of the instructors have to become certified in L.A.
    If you want to learn to sport box and roll Krav is not for you. If you want to learn how to FIGHT, then Krav is the way to go.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Krav Maga is for faggots

18. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Then why do all the Krav Maga guys get their ass kicked at the local mma fights. Usually they're not even competitive. They really don't combat shit and it's a legit school.

19. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

You are the reason many people don't take Krav Maga seriously.

20. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (MotoQ: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

wow ya know i learn street self defense right alongside my combat sport training.... doesn't hurt my self defense at all... in fact it helps a lot.

21. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:ugh:

Its a great intro to fighting.

22. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:squint:

The best defense for someone pointing a gun at you is to give them your wallet and offer them a blow job.

23. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

ib thats your defense for everything. :mamoru:

24. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

that's true, cause if you instantly tapped I don't think the robber would know what you were doing.

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Its true, if you startle me I hand you money and unzip your pants.

I think my friends take advantage of this sometimes :squint: