SRS thinking about the Jewish new year...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by themolsen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I was struck at a meeting today when my Jewish co-worker spoke a bit about the approaching Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah.

Apparently, Rosh Hashanah marks the beginning of 10 days of repentance. Followers take those 10 days to contemplate their sins from the past year and then throw them away. Many will actually throw bread into moving water like a river or the ocean to symbolize this disposing of sins.

According to my co-worker, it’s the start of a new page in one’s life. And although it’s traditionally about washing yourself of your sins, it’s a time to reflect on the good also.

I was thinking about this, and why wait to do this? Why be a Jew to do this? I think we should all take the time to reflect on what we’ve done that’s both good and bad. We shouldn’t dwell on it, but instead make sure we’ve learned all of the lessons we should have and move on.

In both a religious and non-religious context, it’s a way to cleanse the soul and the mind.

In the Jewish tradition, God forgives you for all and you start anew after Yom Kippur. But for the rest of us, why not forgive ourselves and start anew with ourselves?

I think many folks in the Asylum could benefit from something like this...

Disclaimer: I'm not Jewish nor am I very religious at all, but I consider myself spiritual in that I take lessons/ideas from various belief systems that I relate to and make them my own. I think there's something we can learn from every belief system, no matter your religious ideals.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. planeh

planeh Guest

each religion has their own way of "disposing" or "forgiving" of sins. Some religions you don't have to wait to do this. I can go to confession any time.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I think you missed the point of this post. I'm saying we should all take the time to learn life's lessons, and ruminate a bit on what we've done and/or been through, then move past it. Start anew!

4. psychodicautumn

psychodicautumn New Member

I agree completely. Kudos on the inspirational post, there's a really good lesson to be taken away from this. :)

5. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

I reflect on stuff every day and take action to better myself. I was raised Jewish but I do my own thing as well.