Thinking about switching from a Blackbook to a G5 Tower

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3x, Oct 6, 2007.

1. 3x

3x New Member

Pros and cons? I noticed I only use my laptop at home...it never leaves the charger or anything.

I want to pick up a tower of sorts, and noticed he G5 is my only option pretty much. I'm not a fan of everything integrated into one monitor, I don't know why.

But besides that, what are my options here? I was checking this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac...ryZ51046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was looking more for something that'll have good processing power for a few years to come, unless you guys see the Intel based processors as becoming dominant. I wanted the ability to upgrade simple parts such as video cards and have room to expand memory and hard drive space and such.

What do you guys think of this?

2. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

I would try to find Intel based if you could.

on a side note, I was never a fan of "all-in-one" machines, but my next computer will definitely be a iMac 24". I mean, after all, my laptop is an all-in-one, and I love it.

3. 3x

3x New Member

I want the expandability that the tower has to offer, though. Lots of room in there to do some trick stuff.

I'm a student, I don't need this for much more than basic school needs, Final Cut, and Aperture. I figured when it's time to upgrade again, I'd build a nice rig.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

im in the same position but i have a g4 powerbook. its hooked up to a 24" dell so i dont need a monitor. that leaves me with either a mac mini, imac w/a spare monitor or a mac pro/powermac

if i'm going to spend 1k on something i guess i'd rather spend it on an intel based mac pro since the performance increases. with a developer discount i can get one for under 2k prior to taxes

i'm thinking i'm going to wait for the next round of updates to see what comes out

5. 3x

3x New Member

I may just use that deep discount for the rig I want in a couple years...hope its still around.

Will there be any noticeable performance decreased compared to my Blackbook? CoreDuo 2.0ghz, 1 gig ram, yeah.

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

definitely go for intel, g5 would be a step backwards.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

trick stuff like flashing blue lights? because saving a little for an adequately equipped intel imac will whip a g5 tower.

8. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Depends what the metric is - CPU wise, yes, the iMac is quicker (other than a Quad anyway). On the other hand, the G5 is capable of much higher video performance, much better I/O & disk performance and is just more expandable in general. Hold way more memory and all that too. :dunno:

Depends what you want out of it.

9. ady

ady New Member

How much are you looking to spend?

In addition to the new mac pros (likely mid november) driving prices of the current ones down further, probably G5 prices too if that's the definate route, Apple are also being linked with buying up Yorkfield quadcore processors, which if true means that they are going with a new Mac or a cheaper quadcore mac pro (though not that cheap).

I certainly wouldn't be buying a G5 for true expandability though.

10. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

PPC is phasing out....although it might be "faster" (I dont know if it is, i doubt it) for old OSX apps, new apps will only run on intel.

11. eighteen_psi

No, just no.
    First, PPC is phased out already.
    Second, a PPC-only app will run faster on a G5 because it's native.
    Third, most anything decent is universal now and works natively on either.

edit: Fourth, what no one else seems to have brought up here: CPU speed hasn't a whole hell of a lot to do with general perception of 'speed' in most applications and for most people. I abuse my rigs with motion design and visual effects work and for normal, even heavily multiasked use my DC 2.3 G5 is just as quick as my far more powerful Mac Pro. Comparing render times...the Mac Pro crushes it. But look...a fast disk and enough RAM are what make a rig 'fast' for most people, in most situations. A DC G5 is FAR more than enough CPU muscle to make OSX fast, and to make the experience great.

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i was going to suggest a mac mini, because it would be close to the specs of your blackbook
    however you are looking for something that you can swap stuff out of with ease, so your only choice is a G5

I really wish apple would make something in between the mac mini and the G5 (and i'm not talking about the imac)

13. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

I meant that new apps will only work for intel. Not the case now but definitely will be the case soon.

14. eighteen_psi

Like what? Apple is pushing extremely hard for everyone to develop UB apps :hs:

15. ady

ady New Member

There are millions of PPC macs out there still, yes there are a few that are Intel only, but most will continue to be UB (if developers have any sense) for the next couple of years at least.

16. 3x

3x New Member

Not trick stuff as in lights and stuff, I went through that phase five years ago. I meant expandability. I'm a film major and photography minor. The integrated graphics on this machine are just killing me, and the display is just too small. Widescreen displays are getting cheaper by the day.

17. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

just try to find a decent deal on a Mac Pro

18. eighteen_psi

I love my mac pro to death but you're in 3K+ for a viable one new really...used maybe $2500 or so. 1GB is worthless and so is the 7300 if you do anything that wants some GPU muscle :o

You can get a well optioned DC G5 for less than half that. :dunno:

19. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

If i were to build one today, this is how it would be

Specifications

Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    1GB (2 x 512MB)
    250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module
    Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    Mac OS X - U.S. English

1783 + 99 for developer account
    buy ~2gb worth of extra ram from another site

should be around 2k for everything

20. ady

ady New Member

And it's a terrible, terrible deal :hs:. I feel sorry for anyone who needs an Apple Workstation right now. The new Mac Pros can't arrive soon enough.

21. eighteen_psi

I wouldn't go that far...it's not where I'd spend my $2000 but it's still a solid, easily upgradeable rig :dunno:
    I have a 2.66/8GB/x1900/2TB w 2x superdrives myself...RAM, 2nd optical and disks were aftemarket. Right around 4K when I put it together :hs:

Again, it depends where you need your muscle. In After Effects CS3 it beats the DC 2.3 between 3:1 and 4:1 on intensive rendering. In FCP it's about twice as quick. But all these apps, like photoshop, are subjectively identical in use - it's not until you have it crunch a batch or whatever that you really notice the difference. Both rigs are brutally quick as far as slinging apps open, multitasking and all that - quick disks + lots of RAM FTW.

22. ady

ady New Member

I also have a 2.66 and dropped over $4k on it due to UK pricing/exchange rates. Great machine, and at the time it was great value and I don't regret it one bit, but the 2Ghz was never great value as the processors were $400 cheaper each than the 2.66Ghz ones, yet apple give nowhere near that back.

With quad core xeons replacing dual core at the same speed for the same price you can now get an 8 core 2.33GHz Workstation for $2,000 making Apple's current pricing rather outdated. Especially when it's likely that in a month's time there will be 8 core, faster clocked systems with more base memory, better GPU, bigger HD and Leopard for the same price as now.

Don't get me wrong, the current Mac Pros, and even the older dual G5s are still good machines and will suit many people's use for years yet, but none of them are good value for money.

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

wait till new mac pro's come out with leopard

buy someones old mac pro on ebay for cheaper