MMA Thinking about starting Jiu-Jitsu in a few months....

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rob H, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Rob H

Rob H New Member

...once I drop about 20 pounds, regain some stamina and flexibility. I live in Huntington Beach and work in Costa Mesa in Orange County. There happens to be a Gracie Barra center three doors down from my shops garage.

http://www.graciebarra-costamesa.com/#Home

Orange County guys any other places I should think about looking at, and what are some good guidelines on picking the right place to start training??

Thanks!

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

its just like everythign else in life. go to a few before you pick one and create criteria for your choice.

facilities
    trainers
    over all feel you get
    parking (you'd be suprised, there are a few great gyms here, but it is useless because there is NOWHERE to park anywhere near the gym).
    other options (i.e. yoga, weights, bags, etc.)

pick what is important to you, look at your options, then make an informed decision.

and dont worry about losing weight, that wont effect how well you start off, I would worry a little more about flexibility and cardio, but in all reality a few months wont help you get all that much more flexible and the cardio that you get form running doesnt apply that well in bjj. I say just go in there and start training.

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Why do you need to drop weight and stuff before you start going?

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've said to myself I wanted to "get in shape" again before starting up in the past. I regreted the time I did put it off before just getting up and going to the (bjj) gym. Just go, you will get stronger and lose weight faster there.

5. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah for sure don't hesitate, go now and start trying out places, get your free class at a bunch of gyms and see which one feels best. sign up dude.

6. Rob H

Rob H New Member

reason I wanted to wait a few months was I haven't worked out or done any real activity other then work for over two years now. If you guys think it would be best to just dive into it I will start looking around for gyms today then.

7. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Just start as soon as you can. And get a Gi, they are like personal saunas

8. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i am gonna go and talk to the guys next to my shop at Gracie Barra this afternoon.

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Who is the main trainer there?

Edit: Seems like a decent place

10. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i sure will. this is the first forum i check out when I log on to OT everyday and enjoy the threads in here.

i have never done any forum of Martial Arts training before so this should be interesting.

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Like you always hear, dont have an ego. Or you wont be sticking around very long

12. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

It is on the link he posted, just says he is ranked in BJJ, but doesnt give his rank

13. Rob H

Rob H New Member

http://www.graciebarra-costamesa.com/#Instructor

Mike Buckels has been training in martial arts for over 18 years. He holds rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), Judo, Kuk Sool and has trained in Muay Thai and Kickboxing. Mike currently trains directly with Carlos Gracie and Marcio Feitosa. His accomplishments include winning national level W.K.S.A. competitions in forms, weapons, breaking, & techniques. In Brazilian jiu jitsu Mike has won the Pan American Championships and the Copa Pacifica along with many other state and local tournaments.
    [​IMG]Mike has been teaching for over 14 years (11 in orange county). Both as a head coach and an assistant coach he has lead many students and teams to victories on the international, national and regional level.
    His students accomplishments include victories in the BJJ Pan American championship, BJJ US National championship, BJJ US Open, BJJ US Team member, NCAA National Judo Championship and Pan American of submission wrestling.

14. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i just called them and left a message on the machine. just waiting for a call back to get info.

15. Rob H

Rob H New Member

actually i don't think they come in till like 3. everytime i drive by inthe morning or early afternoon there is no one there. but after 4 the place is always packed.

16. Rob H

Rob H New Member

17. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Thats a really good place

18. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

I'm thinking about trying a few free classes myself. Only problem is it's kinda far and that I don't have a car so taking a bus there every day and being late too often might make me seem like an asshole who doesn't really give a shit, and I don't want to be that guy. Still, I think I'll probably go for it in August.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  19. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

mmm.. its a GREAT place for mma.. but i dont think they focus way too much on bjj. I heard only white and blues, and a couple purples attend the gi class.

if you want to have access to a ton of diff training then i would go here..

check out everything nearby.. take a free class everywhere, and THEN make your decision

20. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

that site looks too well done for a focused academy to me. and im not a huge fan of rob emerson.

onthemat took over bjj.org's directory.
    http://onthemat.com/school_database.php

just get in there, the best way to prepare for bjj is to do bjj. what is your reason to "get in shape" before you start? to do good and impress somebody? just forget those thoughts, the beginner classes will be easy and not overly taxing. a good instructor wont put you in a position that he doesnt believe youre ready for. :bigthumb:

21. Rob H

Rob H New Member

yeah after everyone's advice i am not gonna wait on signing up up. i thought it would be better for me to be active for a while before signing up but I guess I was wrong :big grin:

being it's next to my work and their classes work with my schedule i am looking more at Gracie Barra, but gonna do some more research before i decide.

22. Rob H

Rob H New Member

just got done talking with one of the instructors at Gracie Barra, Mike the head instructor is out of town till Tuesday. But said to come in Tuesday talk to Mike and I can start ASAP.

23. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I think you are close to Long Beach. Check BTT Long Beach.

As for training to get stronger and lose weight I went from 285 to 220 in 6 months of training. Then again I kept my diet disgustingly clean and trained like a mad man.

24. Rob H

Rob H New Member

Long Beach is about half an hour away and I don't get out of work till 7 so I don't really know if that will work for me. Gracie Barra is next to my shop so I can literally walk next door after work.

I am really excited and after talking with them today can't wait for Tuesday to come. :bigthumb:

25. Rob H

Rob H New Member

details of diet???