Thinking about returning my new MacBook for a MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Dec 30, 2008.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

So I picked up an aluminum MacBook over the weekend and I'm already thinking about upgrading. :o

Assuming I can get the money together before my 2 week return period is up, should I go for it?

Some things that are swaying me:

-Higher resolution screen. I'm used to 1920x1200 and feel so limited at 1280x800. 1440x900 is more tolerable.

-Better quality screen. I can't help but immediately notice the better quality screen every time I see the MBP in the store.

-Better video card. Hopefully I'll finally be able to run WoW @ max settings when I'm on the go. :hsugh:

-FireWire. Not really a big deal, but nice to have. My main external is FireWire.

-More powerful. I do music production. Though I mainly do it on my PC, my live gigs are getting more and more complex and I might need that extra power one day.

Anyway, should I upgrade? I think if I can get the extra $700 it will be worth it. Hopefully they will waive the restocking fee since I will be getting a more expensive product. They also gave me $100 off because I mentioned that I'm a student, even though I'm not anymore. Hopefully they can apply that too. :hsugh:

2. cixelsyD

cixelsyD OT Supporter

If you'll actually use the video card's power, and prefer the bigger screen size, I'd say go for it. It's basically just a larger Macbook.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

To be honest, I don't think it is worth it. I'll comment on your points though, hopefully it will help you make a decision:

- Higher Res: It's a little bit higher, but barely. If you think it will make a difference for you, then go for it. I'm okay with 1280x800, but I use 1680x1050 at home so it isn't as big of a jump as you.

- Higher quality panel: This is true :hs: My only gripe about the MacBooks, but I don't do any heavy image editing on mine so I think it works for my purposes

- Better video card: I don't game on my laptop as I have a PS3 and a gaming desktop, but if plan on it, then the MBP is a better choice

- FireWire: Personally don't need... if you do, go for it.

- More Powerful: Barely. Aside from the video card, better panel, FireWire, and size, the specs of the high-end MB and base MBP are pretty much the same. However, if you plan on using your laptop as a music workstation, the MBP would prob better be suited.

Also, I can imagine the bigger screen/higher res helps when editing a big project... more space to see what's going on and less scrolling. Although I can imagine if the multi-touch gestures worked to move things around in Cubase or ProTools or whatever you use, it would be quite an advtange for working with a smaller space.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the MBP... if you have a main workstation and you just need something to be portable, save the money.

4. assclown

assclown Active Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go for it even if it's just to feel happier. :hs: I might actually go for the $2,499 model because I was reading that the student discount on that is $200 instead of $100. They gave me a student discount even though I didn't show them any student ID or anything, so if I can get that $200 off I think I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll be happy with the $1,999 version.

5. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

do it

6. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

7. assclown

assclown Active Member

Just ordered the $2,499 MBP. Got $200 off for student discount, so $2,299. Not bad. :big grin:

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Enjoy nga :coold: Be sure to post pics of your setup once you get it