Thinking about restoring a car... Should I?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wizard of Poz, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Im looking at an some older cars that need work done to them, basically V8 american muscle. An old mustang cobra would be nice, but eveyone has them. I was thinking along the line of a 76 cougar. Anyone ever restore a car? I haven't so this would be a learning experience I hope I can handle.

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

If you aren't doing it as a way to make money but rather as a way to make something that you always wanted and will appreciate the process as much as the final product.....you got the money, time, and skill? Just do it!

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

There's more to restoring a car than just repainting it.

To do it properly, it takes real attention to detail and a lot of work. If you aren't flush with $$$, you'll want to take your time and do a lot of work yourself.

4. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

i thinks its a good idea my advice but a Chiltons book for whatever car you buy

my dad and i restore cars like crazy so its a great thing to do and you will (if you do it rightand take your time) be impressed with the final product

5. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

sry buy a chiltons book

6. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

I got a buddy doing a 67 Camaro. He's been at it for 3 years at least now. Half of his time is spent waiting for cash to buy parts, but you know. Like everyone else said, its definatly a LOT of work, and money (and I cant stress it enough). Dont expect it to be done in 3 months. And it'll really show in the end if you half ass it. But its worth every penny in the end.

7. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

The other factor is the desirability of the car. No one wants a 76 Cougar. You can dump $15k in it and still have a $3k car, at best. Not meant as in insult or put down, in case some 76 Cougar fan shows up, but there is just no market for that car. Plus, there was nothing really significant about it to make it a collectible candidate 10 yrs down the line.

8. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

Depending on how in depth you want to go with the resto, you are possibly looking at a very long process. My father and I are in the middle of restoring a 1957 Chevy truck right now and let me tell you, it has taken a lot longer than expected. But then again, we are doing a complete frame off job. Here are some pics to give you an idea of how involved it is. And remember, cars are always more difficult than trucks.

http://community.webshots.com/album/33981073AKDKCf/0

All of the progress you see in the pics took about a year, that includes welding in a camaro front subframe, powder coating, all the bodywork needed, paint, getting the new engine and tranny mounted up, cleaning all the little parts, fabbing new brake lines, gas lines, getting fuel cell, and lots of other stuff. We are just now getting the body back from the shop and will start to put it all back together a full two years after we took it apart.

9. johnny

johnny Guest

I've been working on my 48 Truck for 13 years now... :rolleyes:
    But I love it :bigthumb:

10. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

1980 for three years now alsmost done with frame off im shocked at how short a time it has taken

11. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

almost scary really because me and my dad do em all the time and this is the fastest one yet

12. jeff2577

jeff2577 OT OG

Good job :bigthumb:

13. PeteRR

PeteRR Guest

By doing the work yourself, you're trading money for time. That means it'll only cost you twice as much as you thought it would and 10x the time to do the project. As opposed to 4x the money and 6x the time. The thing to look for is a car that needs minimal body work. It took me 3 years to do my Road Runner and about $60k. Good luck if you go ahead with it.

Pete.