GUN Thinking about refinishing my receiver and barrel, any FAQs out there?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jan 12, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

There barrel is blued steel and from what I've read the receiver is just painted aluminum. I want to get the whole gun completely flat black, just because I like the way it looks. I was bored tonight so I thought I'd paint my scope rings and mount just to see what it would look like and I'm pretty happy with it. All I did was spray Ultra-Flat Black camouflage paint on it, let it dry for a half hour, and sprayed another layer. It looks fine, but I didn't do any prep work to speak of except wipe off any oil. Scope rings are cheap though and I don't care if they get messed up, but before I just spray down my barrel and receiver I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any advice on this sort of thing. :dunno: I'm all ears. Here's the scope rings I painted tonight. They look really gray in the picture, but it's very black in real life. :dunno:

[​IMG]

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Looks pretty nice. :coold: As for the receiver I just plan on doing the outside and maybe a little touch up because I marred it pretty bad trying to put the bolt assembly back together. :o

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You should use something like Moly Resin or Gunkote if you want to do it right. Spray paint works but it won't hold up and will often run with stronger liquid cleaners. Moly Resin and Gunkote are enamels that need to be 'baked on' for them to fully cure. You'll need an air compressor and airbrush to apply them but that shouldn't cost you more than $60 from Harbor Freight.

I've done a few rifles with spray paint and ended up removing it just because the paint would run after a couple hundred rounds were put through the guns in a single session. I use brake cleaner to clean my guns too and that took the paint off easily.

blah, blah, blah all this stuff.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've done a couple AK's and banged up ar upper and various mag's so far with the bake on kote all have come out pretty good i didnt spray inside of any of the recievers or mag's.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've heard good stuff about the Brownells bake on stuff too, I'm going to try that next :cool:

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My SAR2 came out pretty sweet with it, most of the mag's came out pretty good too although a couple i need to redo I didn't prep them well enough.

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, that's the most important part. I found out after doing a couple mags and a half-assed job degreasing them. Letting 'em sit in the oven for a while at 200° makes the oil and cosmo run right out of all the cracks. I've found dish soap and hot water works pretty well to get rid of any oils on the surface.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oh btw, did you use the cheaper brownells spray or the Gunkote stuff? I have an air compresser and airbrush already but if the cheaper stuff works I might as well buy it to do a bunch of old mags and whatnot

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've used both, but the cheaper stuff I only used on mag's and a gas tube worked alright, I'd use the gunkote stuff on any actual guns though, although the cheap shit still looks better then what comes on the romanian rifles. :mamoru:

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'm thinking about rigging up an anodizing tank when I have the money.