thinking about quitting squats in favor of saving my knees down the road

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jackjohnson, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

i love squatting, id say my whole routine revolves around it. im about 10 pounds away of my 315 goal, been squatting the past 5 months straight. I think its the one thing that made going from 135-170 lbs so damn easy.

but a couple of weeks ago I just kept thinking to myself "there is no way in hell that this is healthy for my knees". on top of that my knees have been feeling "tingly", not sure if its just placebo or what not. and in the same time i've talked to tons of old timers (35+ years old, years and years of lifting experience). and they all have the same thing in common, either they cant sqaut anymore due to their knees going out, or just flat out telling me not to do it anymore.

:hs: what to do. if i quit those, whats next? deadlifts? my coworker jokingly told me "just dont work out". but anyway, whats FN's take on this? i know im gonna get a bunch of shit from 1.5 year long lifters

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I think that you could live in a bubble if you are really worried about it.

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

if you're still maxing under 315 you shouldn't worry about it, I mean, unless you do knee firsts... hell I used to and 315 never fucked my knees up

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

damnit why wasn't this post here before i posted mine :mad:

5. jackjohnson

i think maxing is horrible on your knees at whatever weight you are doing. :dunno:

and my form is really clean also

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

:rofl::rofl:

jackjohnson, seriously there have been studies that show suatting CORRECTLY will improve the health and mobility of the knees. If you want to be super safe just box squat with a neutral shin angle.

7. jackjohnson

well honestly i picked up lifting again this summer once snowboarding season ended in march. it was only supposed to be supplemental but i got way into it again. my life revolves around skating/snowboarding and I dont want to be the old guy sidelined because of bad knees. its just the one thing i want to be able to introduce and share with my kids if i have them

8. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I have more injuries from surfing/snowboarding than I do from full contact fighting. Just to put the squat concern in perspective.

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:bowrofl: okay, do what you want, just don't get in my way when I'm throwing on a few more plates and walking off with knees that are just fine

10. jackjohnson

you dont understand what i'm trying to say. maxing is maxing at WHATEVER WEIGHT YOU MAX AT. if you max at 225 you are putting your body under lots of stress. its not like 400 pounds is the weight your knees start to stress :ugh:

and again i predicted i would get lots of shit from the 1.5 year long lifting "veterans"

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

oh so you're a great multi-year vet? yet not quite at 315? come back when you've squatted 545 parallel at 17, when you GM nipples to knees 315 for 6+ reps.... hell if I was that low I wouldn't act like I've been lifting a long time :rofl:

why in the fuck are you gonna post about it if you dont' want input? :ugh:

12. jackjohnson

yeah i go through days where i injure myself more in one day of riding, than every day i've lifted combined. but for some reason i've just been thinking real long term the past couple of weeks

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

then you need to worry about your form so that you can strengthen your knees

14. jackjohnson

you dont understand what im getting at. im talking long term. im sure i can reach 500 easily over the next few years and still have a healthy body. but what about 10-15 years from now?

do you honestly think squatting max or near max weekly for 6-7 years is beneficial in the long run?

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I don't know your life man, I don't know how you train or how you're going to continue to... nobody said you have to max squat every time you train, I might do it every 3-4 months, if that....

16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

You can stop maxing out but you don't have to stop squatting entirely.

17. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

You have to ask yourself this, there are benefits of being strong/big, and there are benefits of not doing squats (less wear on both of the knee joints), find the point where you ar ehappy with both

18. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

lol @ the extreme vaginitis in this thread

19. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

If you don't need/really want big/strong legs, then why risk future pain

20. sex_xer

sex_xer fuck you 2by2!

replace regular squats with box squats and workout the muscles that are used in squats. hamstring movements and good morning for lower back.

21. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

Because they might be interested in fitness and/or nutrition? Or was it a shot at me? If at me, why? Not everyone needs knee pain

22. blam

blam New Member

I love it how the only actual PROOF(and i use that word very lightly) that properly executed squats are bad for your knees is "some old fucker at my told me that it is!". This arguement is about as credible as the old "but my mom said!" line of debate. This thread is treated like a joke because the premise of it IS a joke. Squats wont hurt your knees if you know what you are doing.

I would bet the knee problems of said 'old timers' has more to do w/ quad and hamstring/glute imbalances then them squatting. To much quad dominant nonsense and not enough hip dominant stuff.

23. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

what is the....incorrect way of doing squats?

24. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

I love how you're an idiot, no matter the movement, there are several contributing factors that makes the patella's sliding action in its "socket" not smooth, resulting in degenerative arthitis. Such factors include muscles imbalances resulting in the Q-angle pulling the patella laterally, the extra force applied between the articular surfaces and extra strain places on all the ligaments around the knee joint complex.

If squats are helping your life , be it self-confidence, sex, better performance on the field, income, whatever, then great, the damage is minimal and probably worth it assuming proper technique, but if you dont need them, then perhaps it's not worth it

25. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

way to cut and paste champ

On a side note, like I have said already there is nothing wrong with a correct squat or box squat. The simple fact is that most of you asstomouthers wont ever squat right so you will complain about the knee pain you get. So yeah stop doing them, I really don't give a shit. While you are at it stop lifting all together because you may end up with some repetative stress injuries, god forbid. Now when you are 65 you can have debilitating osteoperosis as opposed to this "arthritis" all of us who choose to lift correctly will supposedly have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.