GUN Thinking about purchasing a Romanian AK-47

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GammaRadiation, Dec 28, 2009.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

-I've been of legal age to purchase firearms for over 2 years and have yet to do so.
    -I live in a not-so-good area
    -It's a sweet looking weapon with a lot of history
    -Often agreed upon as the easiest to operate and most reliable assault rifle ever made.
    -They're cheap and parts are widely available

Any reason I shouldn't? I shot my friends and fell in love. I have plenty of experience with guns (mostly hunting/sportsman rifles and shotguns though).

I say Romanian because it fits my budget ($300-$400)

Pictar:
    [​IMG]

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

saiga or you're a poor faggot

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

j/k

seriously is that you? are you the type of person to tell everyone about your new ak and show it off?

because I could see your place getting robbed pretty damn soon

4. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

I :love: my wasr

5. GammaRadiation

That's me.

But no, I wouldn't go around touting about my weapons. It would just sit in the corner of my bedroom with a drum mag on it. :naughty:

No one comes in my room unless they are female and soon to get naked or a friend of mine. I already have plenty of stuff sitting around that people dont need to see or know about.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. dbracerx

dbracerx louder than loudsystem

its good and fun, buy one. dont be a douche in the pic thou.
    ps i love my saiga 12 more

7. Short Round

Short Round New Member

If you're getting a WASR-10 make sure to look for canted sights and gas block.

8. GammaRadiation

It was the first time I'd gotten to hold an AK-47, let alone got to play with one. First time I'd gotten to shoot an assault rifle not under strict supervision/feeling like there's a daddy figure over me because I cant handle weapons safely on my own. Excuse me if I was being a giddy little kid/douche. :mamoru:

$200 set asside already. 2 more paychecks :x:
    I figured no one would have a bad thing to say about getting one. :)

9. GammaRadiation

Unconstitutional US Law pussified version of an assault rifle? :noes:

:)

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

enjoy. romy g ftw

11. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I had a WASR-2 and liked it. Definitely check for canted sights before you buy it. It's not that hard to fix but it'd be better to be able to just shoot it straight out of the box.

12. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

Agree about checking for the canted sights (among other things). I've noticed in the last few years the quality of the AK style rifles I have come across has really gone downhill. I was in a shop last month looking at a whole rack of them and couldn't find one that was in acceptable condition even for a mass produced stamped metal rifle. I fear the last year's run on the gun market has resulted in alot of overpriced crap flooding the market with little regard for quality.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

While I think thats a steaming pile of shit, if you like it, go for it.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

On my 18th birthday I bought my first gun a chinese norico mak 90 AK. I was at the gun store for months bugging the shit out of them I was so excited. Being chinese and shit and all hyped on the AK a norinco was a no brainer. Gun is very cool, great trigger, butnever really shot very well but it was a AK, and every american should have an AK (as well as a AR, a shotgun, a glock, and a 1911).

I honestly never shoot my AK any more since I got my AR. It's still cool to have and one of my favorites as it was my first.

[​IMG]

15. GammaRadiation

Care to explain why?

People always said they were reliable, and I head stories of pulling them out of the mudd, knocking the excess dirt off, and they fire like they were clean as a whistle. My buddy's was extremely drity and had a nice sheen of rust inside the bolt, it fired fine. Never jammed once.

16. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Are you buying this solely for the looks? Wanna be gangster/drug dealer?

17. GammaRadiation

:hsugh:

I listed the reasons I want one.

If I wanted a gun for protection as a drug dealer, the last gun I would buy would be an AK-47 as I'd need something powerful (fully auto) and concealable and most certainly not legally purchased.

If you have a suggestion for a semiautomatic rifle that has drum mags that is less than $400 and is extremely reliable and easy to maintain then I'd love to hear it. If you'd just like to spew crap and stereotypical redneck bullshit, GTFO my thread plz.

18. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Good luck finding a WASR AND Drum magazine for under $400

19. Short Round

Short Round New Member

WASR-10's for $450 here in my area. Some have them as high as $499.00

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Those stories tend to be over exaggerated urban legend largely spread by people who aren't really shooters. Have you heard about the glock 7? I'll bust up another one for you too, glocks jam and break. I'm not saying its not a tough gun, just don't give it more credit than it deserves or short other platforms too much.

As far as easier to operate goes, we must be considering different criteria. The gun isn't ergonomic at all. The safety sucks, the release/change system sucks, the charging method sucks, etc. Serviceable, yes, but a more modern platform that goes a long way to being more pleasant and efficient to use.

21. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

That's about the going rate here, although you can find them used for $400-$425.

JG Sales has them for $389, but factor in shipping + FFL fee and your well over $400, add in at least $100 for a drum magazine as well and your well over $500

22. GammaRadiation

Drum mag will come later, as long as it's available I'm good. In case you didn't read the first post/thread, I have no experience in AR's or AR based weapons. :)

There are WASR kits online for $300, assembled used guns at gun shows often go for 300-350. The one I'm holding in the picture was $325.

How does the AR-15 compare to the AK-47 for a noob like me? Worth the extra $100 or more?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its a different gun. It has a lot more potential for accuracy and modification to suit your needs. It is also quite a bit more versatile when it comes to adding optics. It also will probably cost you $650 for a barebones ar. It will more easily take on the role of a home defense gun.

Downside to the ar is the ammo is more costly, the gun is more costly upfront, and it often starts an addiction where you spend a decent amount of money making your perfect gun.

24. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

1) Buy Saiga
    2) Convert Saiga
    3) ???
    4) Profit

25. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

The AK is a great weapon if you consider that you're probably not going to do anything more with it than blast around at stuff with friends, but i don't like the particular platform at all.

It's ergos just suck, and the recoil/accuracy of the rifle seriously disappointed me. The AR platform is simply far more useful all things considered, but buying and feeding and AR is much more expensive. If you just want a weapon to have around and don't have a lotta money to blow, the AK is fine.

The AK can be run as an efficient zombie killing weapon with a little practice and know-how. This dude is USN and on other gun boards.

[y]TegQiSObPZo[/y]